Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What can you do with flannel other than rag quilt >

What can you do with flannel other than rag quilt

What can you do with flannel other than rag quilt

Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Power Poster

any quilt you would use flat cottons for you can use flannel for- it is a wonderful fabric to use- makes soft-fluffy cozy quilts.
the only thing to think about is---it is good to starch before cutting for better cuts- (because it tends to be a bit more stretchy) and the thinner-lesser quality flannels may fray a bit more-so you might want to increase your seam allowance to 1/2" instead of 1/4"...other than that- it is a wonderful fabric for quilts of all kinds.

flannel crazy quilt-decorative stitching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253647[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-253641.jpe
Views:	235
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	253647  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 AM

I have made the D9P, (both versions}, a pinwheel quilt made with HST's, a rail fence quilt, a rag quilt made with Courthouse Steps blocks, & a chenille quilt--in making these I learned the following:

If you use a 1/4" seam decrease the stitch length to 1.5-1.75 (my rail fence quilt shredded at the seams because the stitch length was too long to hold the 1/4" seam)

If you don't want to go the full 1/2" seam, a 3/8" seam works well.

Patterns with 6 or 8 points to the center are do-able, but must be pressed correctly to reduce bulkiness. This type of pattern is best done with 3/8" seam allowance.

I don't know if what I have learned is the totally accepted correct way, but I have had only the one quilt shred out at the seams. Love the flannel quilts. Oh, I also use Hobbs 80/20 or Warm & Natural batting.

As others have said, starching a bit really helps, starch from the back side of the flannel and be careful not to distort the damp fabric when pressing.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 AM

I often use flannel for backing & no batting. These are the 1st quilts used in my house & DD's family does the same.All my flannel came from Joanns & never a problem with it.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:55 AM

I backed with flannel once; don't try handquilting it! I have some assorted squares now and wondered if serging would solve the fraying problem?
Old 09-09-2011, 05:56 AM

My 4 year old granddaughter loves her flannel shirts, vests and tells everyone which Gma made them for her. She also has a small flannel assortment of doll clothes for her barbies and her bears ! LOL
Old 09-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Depends on what size pieces you have. I also make receiving blankets, I take the scraps and can do doll quilts (you did say your gd was 4 right). You can also make baby quilts to donate to hospital or other organization, Linus etc. So far I see lots of possibilities. I have a rag quilt for my personal use and I love it. Thinking of making one for my bed not just for naps any more!! Hehehe...
Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 AM

I have been using flannel in place of batting for wall hangings, table runners and baby quilts. It works very well. GiGi
Old 09-09-2011, 08:11 AM

I used flannel to cover a small portable design wall.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MellieKQuilter
Originally Posted by frarose
You can also use it for the backing on quilts. I love snuggling under a flannel backed quilt.
:thumbup:

Me too!
I have tons of flannel I bought to make my kids pajamas when they were little, started quilting instead so the pj's never got made. I have lots of cute novelty prints that I'm now planning to use as the backing for quillows. If I get around to it.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:29 AM

ohhh, flannel sheets - and someone posted a discussion on flannel nitegowns (which just dont work with flannel sheets lol), the best nightware for flannel is satin backed in peach skin. Its soft and fluffy on the inside, and slides around on the flannel on the outside. sharet