Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Where were you when...9/11 memories >

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Where were you when...9/11 memories

Old 09-10-2011, 10:04 PM

DH & I were having coffee on the patio & our DD called and told us to turn on the TV immed. We could not believe that we were being attacked here in the US. But we also never ever thought that we would be put in harms way in OKC as we all were when the Alfred Murrah bldg was bombed my Timothy McVeigh. Such scary times we live in. I pray so hard that God will keep us all safe this weekend and the weeks to come.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:13 PM

I was talking on the phone with my fiancé (now dh) and I had the Today Show on like I always did in the am while getting ready for work. We were talking about how terrible an accident it was when I saw the second plane fly across the screen into the second tower. I knew then it was no accident and that we would soon retaliate. I will never forget. I told dh then that if there was to be a medical draft that I would go. I spent 8yrs in the Army as a combat medic, but by the time 9/11/01 came around I was an RN.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:21 PM

I was still in bed. My sister was down here on vacation at my house and she had got up and was watching tv when she saw what was happening. Then she came in my bedroom and said the second plane had hit the south tower of the world trade center. I jumped out of bed and started watching everything that was happening. I was in shock. Watched it all day.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:47 PM

I was getting ready for work and I turned on the TV, which I almost never do, and saw what was happening. I ran to the bedroom woke my husband up and told him. We sat on the couch for an hour watching and worrying about his family and my aunt. I called my boss and told her I'd be late. It was a terrible day. Every day when I get up and turn the TV on I feel a slight panic because I wonder what happened during the night. Now it's soon to be 10 years and I still worry. And my eyes still fill with tears for all those poor people.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:01 PM

I was a brand new mom. My son was 9 days old, we (DH, son and I) were headed up to New Hampshire for the day. We barely got to the end of our street before I understood what they were saying on the radio. Of course we turned right around and watched the news all day.

Being scared as a mom, was totally different than being scared as a person. I wondered why God would send me this perfect beautiful baby boy, just to live in a world like that.
Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 PM

I was in high school. After the first one hit, every room that had a TV had it hooked to the news. Saw the second hit. Everybody walked around in shock. Switched classes at the bell as usual then sat and stared at another TV.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:56 AM

xI was working half days at the Post Office and didn't have to be at work until 1:00pm so I had slept late I walked past the tv room and saw a scene of the plane crash at the pentagon. I just said to my husband how sad looks like a terrible plane crash and he told me it wasn't just a plane crash it was the Pentagon. He explained that we were under attack. I watched the news for some time and saw the two towers come down.

It was so hard to believe this and I just felt so absolutely lost but very angry and I wanted to do something. I went to my basket of giant rolls of curling ribbon got the red white and blue ribbon and a box of straight pins and took them to work with me. I gave them to one of the bosses and asked if she could make us some lapel ribbons. She not only put them together but she came up to each of the clerks and pinned them on us and patted us on the shoulder.

When the carriers returned from their routes she handed the ribbons out to them. She told me that some of the carriers wanted to use the ribbon for their car antennas, that was fine with me.

I remember within a few days those little beaded flags made out of safety pins started to appear the crafters didn't waste any time.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:28 AM

My girlfriend called me and said to turn on the tv, that's when I saw the first plane sticking out of the tower. While telling my friend that it was a terrible accident the 2nd plane hit the other tower and we knew it was an attack. DH and I spent the rest of the day glued to the tv while trying to contact our son who works in Manhattan. Luckly he wasn't in his office but out at Kennedy airport and was able to let his wife know he was OK.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 AM

I was burying my mom that morning. My DD was 8 months pregnant and she came into the funeral home hysterical. I was scared for her and the baby so I had to get her calmed. The funeral mass was so difficult to get through with our grief and fear of what was happening! Then the gas stations had people lining up for blocks! I am not going to watch any TV today. I just do not want to relive that horrible morning!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:31 AM

I was at work on the internet when I saw the news. They bought in TVs to the cafe. They were laying people off that day and once the attack started they stopped the layoffs. . My son was in college and his roomate's dad was in one of the buildings. thankfully they did find him and a live. I am not watching TV today either. They just showing it all over again...have been for days. I do not want to keep reliving it. Once was enough and its something I will never forget.