Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free motion Quilting Help!!!!!!!!!!! >

Free motion Quilting Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Free motion Quilting Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Power Poster

I have read that it's not so easy to successfully FMQ with a machine that has a drop in bobbin, so I hope you can crack it.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
I have read that it's not so easy to successfully FMQ with a machine that has a drop in bobbin, so I hope you can crack it.
I never heard that one! I think it's just a matter of practice. :) When I first started out, I had all the same issues everyone else does...tension, eyelashes, etc. One day it just all seemed to click and now it always looks pretty good!
Old 09-12-2011, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieBB
I'm trying to learn to free motion quilt, read the books, practiced, practiced, My problem is the thread tenson, it always loops on the bottem. Am using a Simplicity Quilter, have cleaned and oiled, changed thread several times,still can't get tenson right, looks better when sewing forward, but when I go side to side or backward loops, yes I lowered feed dogs, going slow, or fast does not make any differance, any help would be much apreciated. as it has a drop in bobbin, don't know if bobbin thrad can be tightened.
I use the bobbin washers, and it has made a huge diffrence, if you want to try it, pm me and I will send you one.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 AM

Nativetexan is absolutely correct. This will set your tension.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:45 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I cannot FMQ at all on my domestic, setting the top tension from 1-4 almost, and nothing makes a difference...speed, thread, needle- ARG!! I have since bought a Juki 2010 and was able to FMQ just fine right out of the box- no adjustments at all! I am going to take a FMQ class and take both machines- perhaps they can show me what is going on with one and not the other.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:56 AM

I have a Brother Sewing and Quilting machine and I have to set my top tension to 8 for it not to have loops and make sure you have the feed dogs covered (mine has cover) and lever down ( senior moment) and use open toe or emb foot..Hope this helps some.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
do you drop your needle down and then raise it back up and take hold of the bobbin thread to bring it to the top? that is important. usually the cause of messy thread on the back. you hold the bobbin thread and top thread and take a few stitches almost in place. then you can start quilting and stop and clip those thread ends to get them out of the way and continue sewing.
Yup, pull both threaaaads to the top, don't have a mess on the bottom, the bottom thread just lays there ,dos not meet between the layers like it should, an using a 90/14 Singer quilting needle ( new) :(
Old 09-12-2011, 06:21 AM

they call that 'railroad tracks' when the bottom thread just lays there. It means one of two things: but don't adjust both at the same time. Either your top tension is too loose or your bobbin tension is too tight. I would try the top tension 1/4 turn to the right (while chanting 'righty tighty lefty loosey'...sorry! I could not resist!). Adjust the bobbin tension SPARINGLY, especially if you had good stitch quality just sewing. If it is the other way around, and you are getting pokeys on the TOP, the top tension is too tight, or the bobbin tension is too loose.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing..
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 AM

To FMQ you must use an embroidery foot or a darning foot. It really makes no difference if the feed dogs are up or down. It sounds like your top tension is to loose. Try tightening it. Then, if you need to, you can adjust your bobbin tension by adjusting the little tiny screw on the side of the bobbin case. Move it in small increments.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by soccertxi
they call that 'railroad tracks' when the bottom thread just lays there. It means one of two things: but don't adjust both at the same time. Either your top tension is too loose or your bobbin tension is too tight. I would try the top tension 1/4 turn to the right (while chanting 'righty tighty lefty loosey'...sorry! I could not resist!). Adjust the bobbin tension SPARINGLY, especially if you had good stitch quality just sewing. If it is the other way around, and you are getting pokeys on the TOP, the top tension is too tight, or the bobbin tension is too loose.

Hope this helps and is not too confusing..
OK, thanks for thr suggestiond, we are going to try this again, usinf 100/16 singer needles, Signature Tribobal polyester thread, both top and bottom.
thanks for all of your suggestions!!
Maggie