Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 57 or 37 Foot? >

Bernina 57 or 37 Foot?

Bernina 57 or 37 Foot?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by KLO
Originally Posted by QM
My DH and a for sure honest tech went over the machine. That motor was really dead. The motor, without any installation was over $500, could only be bought thru a dealer (I tried). My "local" dealer became downright surly. That Bernina was the worst machine I ever bought. It was really good for a little over a year then nothing but trouble for the next 2. Janome is a better bet.
As I have a Bernina , I am curious as to which Bernina you had that was a disaster. I have never heard of anyone having that happen before. Did you buy it new? Cannot imagine why that motor went so bad. Sounds like a real lemon.
That is my question as well. I have never heard of anything so disastrous involving a Bernina, so I am concerned! I also thought that there would be some type of warranty for a major "engine" failure.
Alice
Old 09-11-2011, 04:14 PM

I have both. Used 37 for the longest time as I didn't believe 57 was worth the investment....UNTIL I TRIED IT, that is. That is now my "go to" foot, but do use the 37 for some application. I recommended this foot to a fellow Bernina user. She bought it and loved it. Even bought a second basic Bernina to take to classes and made sure she had the 57 with it, as the shank was different.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:37 PM

A friend gave me her #57 (she did not like it) but I love it and it is the only one I use now.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:07 PM

When I bought my Bernina 200A (computer machine), I had problems with it heating up and then it would shut down and I would loose my designs. I talked and talked and talked to the dealer. He would check it out and said NOTHING was wrong, I just needed to learn how to use it correctly. Well after many trips and much frustation my husband went in with the machine and told them to fix it or give us our money back. The dealer ran the machine for 8 hours and it got so hot he burned his finger. What they found was the mother board was not working correctly. They replaced the machine and when I recently had it serviced he told me that there were only 2 other machines in the US with more stitches than mine. I love the Bernina and use it almost every day for embroidery. But yes, the Bernina can have problems but a good dealer makes them right.

Originally Posted by Chartreuse
Originally Posted by KLO
Originally Posted by QM
My DH and a for sure honest tech went over the machine. That motor was really dead. The motor, without any installation was over $500, could only be bought thru a dealer (I tried). My "local" dealer became downright surly. That Bernina was the worst machine I ever bought. It was really good for a little over a year then nothing but trouble for the next 2. Janome is a better bet.
As I have a Bernina , I am curious as to which Bernina you had that was a disaster. I have never heard of anyone having that happen before. Did you buy it new? Cannot imagine why that motor went so bad. Sounds like a real lemon.
That is my question as well. I have never heard of anything so disastrous involving a Bernina, so I am concerned! I also thought that there would be some type of warranty for a major "engine" failure.
Alice
Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 AM

I use the 57 when piecing and have the most accurate 1/4" seams I've ever had - it is worth the money.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM
HBC

How effective is the use of like a #37 with a straight stitch needle plate? I have never used that plate but find it difficult to keep a good straight 1/4 inch seam while patch quilting. I am looking for suggestions.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM

I have the #37, #57 and the straight stitch plate. I prefer the #57 and use it most of the time for piecing. It is very accurate. I do use the #37 for say sewing across squares for half-square triangles where I have not cut them apart yet. The straight stitch plate is also a must.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:49 PM

I love the 57 foot! Now, it is about the only foot I use. It is great for quilting and making doll clothes. I had a 37 but when I hadn't used it for a year, I gave it to a young friend who had just started quilting. She was very happy with it.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:11 PM

I use the #57 with the guide.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:18 AM

Here are a couple of cheaper ones

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ber...h-foot-37.aspx
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ber...e-foot-57.aspx
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/ber...e-foot-20.aspx