Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are Feathers Over Done? >

Are Feathers Over Done?

Are Feathers Over Done?

Old 09-12-2011, 09:50 AM

I do like the feathers but anything can be overdone. Like a lot of you, I prefer the spaced quilting so I can actually see the fabric, but I do like the feathers too. I guess that is why we all get to select what we want for our individual quilts..
Old 09-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by tealfalcon
Tina I apologize .....I let myself get sucked into these debates.....I did not assume or announce anything about you directly or that wasn't already posted I apologize if you felt I was attacking you
My only comment on this now is I am a happy feather lover.
Tisha, no need to apologize. I was not offended, I just didn't want people to think there was a dig against any one person. It is all a matter of personal taste. And, it can be very easy to get caught up in some of the remarks, especially when they head off in the wrong direction.
By the way, I love the feathers, just not on everything and not so much when they distract from the pattern. lol Have a great day!! :D
Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM

I think feathers have been overdone and I don't care for dense quilting.

Those are my opinions and I will express them when a topic like this comes up.

Feel free to express your own opinions on the subject.

I am not here to offend anybody and so I find it very tiring when people who don't agree with my opinions get offended when I express mine. They act like I said mine just to hurt them or I'm not as "learned" as they are because we hold different opinions.

You are allowed to express your opinion as long as you don't attack me for mine in the process.

Thank you. :)
Old 09-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aorlflood
You are allowed to express your opinion as long as you don't attack me for mine in the process.
Okay, I tried to resist the urge to post, but it just didn't work. (I am allowed...) I just don't need to ask permission from anyone anymore! LOL
Old 09-12-2011, 10:28 AM

I agree. If I spend hours and hours planning, cut and piecing a quilt, I would like to see the actual design enhanced. Feathering really does distract. Yes, feathering is very beautiful and requires great skill, but minimal is better IMHO. That is unless it is specifically requested by the owner of the quilt. :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 AM

I think it's OK to express your opinion. Yes it begins a conversation and hopefully no offense is taken on anyone's part. I like the way Selena said it "I think there are so many strong opinions because quilters are passionate people." Also conversations like this helps us to share ideas with people of like mind. It's all good! :lol: :thumbup:
Old 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM

I love the feathers, but I'm with the "not to dense" crowd. I like a quilt to be soft and flexible. Now a quilt that is strictly made for show is a horse of a different color. They are ususally not used to cuddle in and in that case dense quilting is fine.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
Oh my goodness. I'm fairly new to the Board so I've never heard such ugly remarks.

Let's not argue -- I enjoy the Board simply because there are so many different types of quilters and just as many opinions. Be Nice please.
I agree...and for the record I only implied, I didn't use any actual swear words. LOL* ;)
Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM

I don't make any apologies for being passionate about quilting or checking my facts before posting... :-)

And personally I find the trad quilters more 'rebellious' than the art quilters - we mostly started in the traditional and have developed into the art so can see the beauty in both.

PS I just checked out your blog and your FMQ is beautiful - feathers and all. :D
I would never ask you to apologize and I rather enjoyed your excitedness. ;) Thank you for the compliment on my quilting, I must do some feathers and blog about them in honor of this thread. Lol*
Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I think feathers have been overdone and I don't care for dense quilting.

Those are my opinions and I will express them when a topic like this comes up.

Feel free to express your own opinions on the subject.

I am not here to offend anybody and so I find it very tiring when people who don't agree with my opinions get offended when I express mine. They act like I said mine just to hurt them or I'm not as "learned" as they are because we hold different opinions.

Thank you. :)
I have enjoyed your thread and I think you have every right to express your opinion on feathers. I find it purely entertaining how heated a debate it caused! ;) I mean, they are just feathers after all, and all you said was you didn't really like them. LOL*