Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial >

Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

Old 09-07-2011, 12:17 PM

I'm new at quilting, but enjoy trying new types. I saw a CW quilt when I visited NC recently and knew it was one I just had to learn. The methods in books were hard to understand, but your method is terrific. Wow! I made a row of cathedral windows today, just as you demonstrate here and it is easy and fun. I'm using bright green background and beautiful blending batiks for the glass. This quilt will knock the socks off everyone who will see it. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 AM

Great tutorial. It is turning out beautifully!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 PM

I'm working on a CW now but am hand stitching the windows.
This is my second one. The first one was for my hsband and took two years stopping and starting to complete. This one I'm working on is a wedding gift for my daughter.
The CW quilt is truly a labor of love:0
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 AM

This is just beautiful. I have made Catherdral potholder which is on the same idea.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:29 PM

Eddie, you have given me the courage to try to do a Cathedral Window Quilt. I have always loved them and your tutorial was so well done that I can now understand how they are made. Bravo!!! And thank You! :thumbup:
Old 09-13-2011, 05:27 AM

Great Tut! looks like you did it a while ago, but look how folks keep finding just what we need here on the board!
Old 09-13-2011, 06:30 AM

I have been working on my CW quilt for 30+ years off & on!!! I started it back in 1977 while sitting with a sick parent. Put it away for a few years when life got in the way and then finally drug it back out awhile back. I only work on it in the evenings while relaxing in front of the tv. I am about half way finished for a double bed. I do hand stitch the window down thru the back of the block...so the stitches show and will be the same as a hand quilted quilt (which it really is!!). I love the CW & will be doing more using your tute!!! No more 30 year projects for me--I don't have that many years left to start any!!! I also used scraps from the fabric I made my family clothes with, so it has lots of memories in it. The muslin has changed over the years though. What I stared out with isn't nearly as nice as what you can buy today.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 AM

This has to be the greatest CW tutorial I have EVER seen. Thanks so much. I am a 71 year old retired nurse, writer and crafter. I make 22 and 24 inch boy and girl cloth dolls to give away to children with cancer and other devestating things. (67 so far) I think this would make a gorgeous skirt for a girl doll. Now to wiggle out some extra time to try doing that. It would even make a wonderful border for the bottom of one of the skirts which are 16 inches long and 48 1.4 wide before hemming. Thanks again as you made my day. I'll be day dreaming on this one.

Vickey
Old 09-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Very inspirational/easy to understand Tutorial..... Have always admired your
posts/pictures/machine quilting. Keep up the good works.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM

Thank you for this easy cw tutorial. I made it and have received so many wonderful comments and everyone that sees it on my wall says it's so beautiful. I posted the picture here on the board and it made me very happy to hear the comments. Now I really don't feel like a 1 year quilting newbie anymore. I've gained a lot of confidence in my quilting. Love this quilting board!