Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Table for Singer Featherweight~~~Question >
  • Table for Singer Featherweight~~~Question

• Table for Singer Featherweight~~~Question

Old 09-13-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I heard back from the person on VintageSingers who has been doing the research on FW tables. He thinks it is probably just a card table made by that company, having nothing to do with Singer sewing machines. I agree with this assessment. I also think it may have come out much earlier than the FW, which I think came out in 1951. The Burrowes company was producing card tables, pool tables, etc. at a much earlier time frame.

I still don't think I would take it apart. Do you think an antique dealer would have more information, not about that table specifically, but about early card tables in general? There are several on ebay, some at really high prices (but I don't think those are selling).

Some more information about card tables made by Burrowes -

http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Site...?img=106933393

Scan down the page and see the Burrowes card table selling in 1924 for $1.98! This is not the same one you have - but similar. It does have a green leatherette top.

I just found it at another store (in 1923) for $1.85. It's clearly getting more valuable as time goes on...
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...AAIBAJ&pg=1533,1653454

Wow...you are really good at research !!
    Thanks Bunches :)
    My legs fold different that 1st one
    2nd one I can't tell.
    I'm thinking this may have come before them as the legs seem
    more complicated.
    no, I won't mess up the table.
    I seem to understand it is old.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2018 at 05:56 AM. Reason: shouting /all caps
    Old 09-13-2011, 04:24 PM

I have been doing my research lately on FW tables and I also think this is just a playing card table. It doesn't look like anything Singer put out. The only one that has no cut out is a rare extension table that had two legs.

Harry
    Old 11-08-2018, 04:44 AM

And I have a FW table to sell thru OfferUp & some guy offered me $75 which I turned down. It has a sun faded area in middle of table but is sturdy and the legs opens & closes great. I asked $150 which I thought was fair as they're hard to come by and I'm using something else as a table instead. Don't have time & patience to redo the top. He was trying to tell me it's only worth $75 so if he refinish it, it'd only be worth $100
    I think he's a dealer & trying to get it cheap, claims it for his niece that needs one & not caring about value
    So what do you ladies think?
    Old 11-08-2018, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nwm50
    And I have a FW table to sell thru OfferUp & some guy offered me $75 which I turned down. It has a sun faded area in middle of table but is sturdy and the legs opens & closes great. I asked $150 which I thought was fair as they're hard to come by and I'm using something else as a table instead. Don't have time & patience to redo the top. He was trying to tell me it's only worth $75 so if he refinish it, it'd only be worth $100
    I think he's a dealer & trying to get it cheap, claims it for his niece that needs one & not caring about value
    So what do you ladies think?
    Have you had anyone else interested? If no one is interested at $150, it could be because the price is too high for your area.
    Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 PM
    Banned

The card tables are not rare or hard to come by. I see them for sale all the time. The cabinets aren't as rare as was once thought either.

Cari
    Old 11-08-2018, 10:23 PM

I think something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If nobody else is interested in your table at $150, then it's probably not worth $150.
    Old 02-17-2019, 08:09 AM

I have 4 featherweight tables and all of them are wood tops, with cut out and steel legs. They have serial # on them.
    Singer did make lots of furniture years ago and it may have been one of their regular care tables. It don't look like the extension table as it is wood top and only 2 steel legs. I also have one that is a reproduction that looks just like the others except it's painted black with a clear wood top.
    If you only have the base of the treadle, I would put a glass top on it. If you are wanting to use it for the sewing machine, you can put a nice piece of wood on it and then have it cut out to match the machine. Cabinet shops have ways of holding the machine in place.