Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets? >

Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Alternative patterns for quilts for Vets?

Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 AM

My nephew expressed this same thing when he came back from his second deployment from Iraq.
Originally Posted by lisainmo
Well this is interesting..I wanted to make my son a quilt when he returned from Afghanistan. He asked specifically not to make anything red, white and blue or with ARMY on it. I just made a quilt that I would have made for anyone else and he loved it.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 AM

Quilt of Valor does not require that you make a Red, White and Blue quilt. It even states on it's website that some returning Vets do not want patriotic themes. When you request a recipient you tell the QOV people the style of your quilt and they match you up with a vet who wants that style.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:17 AM

Our group uses patterns that encompass everything. Our fabrics are donated so we are grateful for whatever we get and use it. Disappearing nine patch, rail fence, Jacobs ladder,and presently we are using light and dark half square triangles arranged in an x pattern with the dark making the x. I don't know the name of the pattern, but it makes a beautiful quilt. And no, Quilts of Valor Foundation does not demand patriotic fabrics, or stars, just quality made quilts 60 x 70 with a label and a pillowcase. Our group has beeen sending for five years now.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 AM

I quilt for AMerican Hero Quilts <americanheroquilts.com>
Check them out. Most of the quilt tops I receive are red white & blue, but some are not. Also acceptable, apple pie, sports theme, motor cycles, anything male or manish designs and colors.
Phyllis
82 yrs in Oregon
over 150 quilts for AHQ
Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 AM

I think the idea of making some quilts for our vets that aren't red, white, and blue is a good one. I think of something that could pretain to another aspect of their lives would be very appropriate and writing on the quilt, saying it is for a special person who is looking forward to doing something else with their lives would be very appropriate. I know there are men and women who will fold up their red, white and blue quilt and not want to be reminded of the past but we do want them to look forward to a wonderful future with many good memories. Even a quilt with one liners on it would bring a smile. I am glad you brought this matter up.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Call your local Veterans office. make lap quilts in any color and donate them. They can tell you of veterans in need. In Veterans hospitals they can be of your choosing
You go girl!!! I make them for the veterans that enter the hospice program I volunteer at. Mine are patroitic ones its so rewarding to see the faces on them its so rewarding.
I have made 12 so far but have run out o fabric. asking on freecycle for donations and usually someone helps.

debbie in Ohio
Old 09-16-2011, 10:05 AM

I make quilts through "Miracle Quilts" in Oxford, Mi. They deliver quilts to the VA hospitals in DC. if they are supplying the material and all you have to do is make it, they will give you red, white and blue....however I have made some quilts, with my own material with scrappy colors, birds, flowers or just browns, greens, etc. They have accepted every one of them with gratious thanks. Check out their website. www.miraclequiltsmichigan.com.

I have 2 sons in the military, Marine and Army and I'm proud to work with this organization and the founder Carole Carol.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jillaine
I love the idea of making quilts for returning vets.

But all of the ones I've seen have a patriotic theme. And in fact, it seems like the organizations that coordinate quilt donations to vets require such themes that usually include red, white and blue and stars.

I can't help but wonder if there are some returning vets who would prefer NOT to be reminded of their time over there, and would appreciate something entirely different.

What have you made for a returning vet that is of a non-patriotic theme? And can anyone recommend a quilt-donation-coordinating organization that doesn't require a particular theme?
It seems that some of them do not like to sit on or put their feet on "patriotic red white and blue". Combinations of browns, tans, nature fabrics all are liked very well.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:15 AM

Our guild has made quilts with all colors and all themes. And we have sent them to QOV. Should we be re-reading the rules ?!! I am sure I have seen pictures of quilts donated and they were not red white and blue.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:56 AM

I made a grownup I Spy quilt for a friend's son in Afghanistan and he loved it!! I called it I Spy American Pie. I used all kinds of fabrics so he could have comfort of familiar things around him while he was so far from home. He and his buddies loved reminiscing with that quilt he said. Here is the photo:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-257555.jpe
Views:	115
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	257561