Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weird experience with starch.  Is this normal?? >

Weird experience with starch. Is this normal??

Weird experience with starch. Is this normal??

Old 09-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kwiltnutt
Any Canadians reading? I have searched high and low and cannot find liquid starch in Canada. I even checked the Nova Scotia stores while I was visiting my dd last month!
I'm not Canadian, but got curious. I get Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch in the U.S. and it works great for quilting. When I Googled, it does look as if liquid starch cannot be found in Canada.

One thing I would suggest is going to customer service at every grocery store and Walmart you frequent, requesting they stock Sta-Flo.

Also, you have the option of making your own liquid starch at home. There are various recipes on the net. Almost all commercial starch is made from corn, so if you can purchase cornstarch (powder in the baking section of the grocery store), you can make your own. Boiled homemade starch lasts the longest. Here are links to some of the recipes, etc. I found:
http://www.pinkyhasabrain.com/homema...starch-recipe/
http://www.ehow.com/how_4917067_home...ed-starch.html
Pinky even has a Youtube video on making starch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xp87HykG34

There are also dry starch brands such as Argo and Peal that you may be able to find.

The advantage of Sta-Flo is simply that it's already made up for me and, as long as I don't mix it with water, it keeps indefinitely in its plastic jug without getting moldy. Homemade starch will not last as long without getting moldy because you won't have preservatives in it.

Edit: It looks like Pinky's video shows how to make a starch for spraying. I use a thicker mixture (would probably clog up a sprayer) for my starch method, which is to "paint" starch onto yardage with a large wall painting brush, dry in dryer, then iron with steam.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:48 PM

I just use Faultless Spray Starch that I pick up at the grocery store. It is one of my favorite tools
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 PM

Try spraying and letting them sit in an airy place- If you leave them on a hard surface orsomething like an ironing board it does not allow them to dry
Old 09-17-2011, 09:00 PM

Try spraying and letting them sit in an airy place- If you leave them on a hard surface or something like an ironing board it does not allow them to dry
Old 09-17-2011, 09:09 PM

I have tried several spray starches and Best Press. I now use only Niagara spray starch in a pump bottle. No aerosol for me anymore and I love the job it does. It was $1.89 for a good size bottle at Meijer's.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 PM

I had read on here that many recommended Mary Ellen's Best Press so I bought some. I think it is pretty much worthless. I can do the same with water and if I want starch I have found the Sta Flo Liquid Laundry starch is quite good. I also found that by wiping with my hand after spraying, kept it from flaking even though that does not bother me since I iron it on the back side.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:40 PM

Here is the recipe using the vodka. I think it would act as a preservative to a certain extent too.

This recipe comes from Bonnie on the Stashbuster Yahoo quilting group. She calls it Sisters Brew in honor of the friend who developed it with her. Compare it to commercial solutions that cost much, much more!
Sisters Brew Pressing Solution
• 2 cups distilled water
• 2 ounces cheap vodka
• 6-12 drops of essential oil (choose a scent you like, or eliminate if you want an unscented solution)
• 1/3 cup liquid starch.
Shake well before using.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by fishnlady
I had read on here that many recommended Mary Ellen's Best Press so I bought some.
But the bottle is a great spray bottle! I use my Best Press bottle to make my own spray starch with Sta-Flo and water!!! :thumbup:
Old 09-18-2011, 07:03 AM

This is the way I use the Best Press, and I bought the gallon size and just use a small fine mist spray bottle. Works great!

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I use Best Press for all my pressing, including my clothing. You do have to make sure you don't over saturate the fabric, just like with regular starch. I lightly mist my fabrics and then I iron or press them dry. The finish can't be beat, and there is no flaking as with some spray starches. FYI I water my Best Press down and I get the same results as if I used it full strength. I get the jumbo bottle at Hancock's with a coupon and it is worth the money. IMHO!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:37 AM

I have used starch, but mainly when I'm going to be cutting small pieces and want to keep them accurate. However, I always starch (or use Best Press) before cutting, not after the blocks have been pieced. What is the reason for starching after piecing?