Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Christmas gifts? >

Christmas gifts?

Christmas gifts?

Old 09-18-2011, 04:23 AM

I did last year. I think it is more personal than a bought gift.....
Old 09-18-2011, 04:36 AM

The fabric is already in your stash - that means you bought it at some point, right? Money is very tight for my family right now, so my stash is going to be my primary source for gifts. (And a lot of it is older fabric I got for a song at yard sales and from swapping with friends, etc.)

I think in this economy, most people understand frugality very well. If they don't, they must have been living under a rock for the last few years...
Old 09-18-2011, 07:15 AM

Here is a good tutorial for making a bathmat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjW4noEKa6U
Old 09-18-2011, 07:30 AM

I'm doing that this year. I think everyone realizes that $ is tight. But....a beautiful table runner and/or matching place mats is a lovely gift. Do you make totes? mug rugs? wall hangings? I think I would love to get these as a gift so I think perhaps others would. A handmade gift is more special to many people! Merry Christmas!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:50 PM

Can you tell me what are the "microwave bowl holders"? Maybe I've missed this decision in the past. Sure sounds interesting to me.
Thanks, Mary
Old 09-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Mary-go to the tutorial section of the boards and do a search for Microwave fabric bowls. In short they are like a bowl shaped pot holder you can actually use in most microwaves right under your bowl. When your microwave stops, you can just reach in and lift your heated bowl with this Microvewave bowl holder. Instead of trying to use a regular pot holder to remove the bowl. Also you just keep the bowl holder under the bowl and it retains the heat longer so whatever is in your bowl stays warm longer.
It is very important you use 100% cotton fabrics, 100% cotton threads, plus the "Potato bag batting" you can buy in specially marked bags, at places such as some Local quilt shops or Joann's Fabrics. The tutorial on how to make them shows you pictures also.
Kat
Old 09-19-2011, 07:35 AM

Yes, I do and with monies being so tight, I think they will appreaciate them more this year. I am making pillow cases this year. I am trying to match the pillowcase with their decor/personality. Not an easy job, but will be a great conversation. LOL
Old 09-19-2011, 07:45 AM

I think that handmade gifts are wonderful, because it shows someone cared enough to take the time to do something for you. I made crocheted afghans for my own sons, and for one of their friends who stayed with us so much that I bought one of those double bunk bed deals so he had a good place to sleep. This was when they were in high school, over 20 years ago. I was visiting up North last year, and he told me that he had lost everything in a fire, except that afghan, which he had had with him at the time...and he treasures it still. Handmades are heartmades. If they aren't appreciated by the recipients, then next year, just give them a nice card.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 AM

Thank you so much for the information on the microwave bowls. This certainly sounds like great Christmas presents to me and also very useful in my own kitchen.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Have any of you ever seen any of these microwave bowls for sale in any stores or anywhere on the internet? I'm wondering if there is any problem if someone were to try to sell them.