Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Spending foolishly at the quilt show >

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jamsbuying
I'm actually looking forward to spending money at the Houston International Quilt Show coming soon!!
Get ready to heat up that credit card!!!! Have fun at the show!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I always tell folks, walk it three times..makes notes of the booth you saw it in, and what it was and the price...then sit down, do some math...and THEN...to avoid buyer's remorse...go to the booth ALONE so there is NO peer pressure..remember your friends really do like to spend YOUR money..heheheh
Also go the afternoon of the last day --lots of times they will cut the price in half just so they don't have to pack it up. Also, ask for demo items at half price. I always say 'pretty please" and it usually works.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:03 AM

Lori, try making a quilt or two with the "Yellow Brick Road" (it's a FQ pattern by Terry Atkinson. I bought several (still have one) packs of FQs at shows and this is a fast, great way to do one. I think it takes 30 for a king and less going down in size. Very attractive. If you are interested, I could take a photo of the one on my bed now and send it to you via PM or try to post on here! There are lots of other FQ patterns too if this doesn't appeal to you.

Originally Posted by Lori S
I had to learn to give myself a "show allowance" and when it was gone I was done shopping. I loved the years that International was in Chicago, but it was very easy to get carried away. I still have a few fat quarter bundles that .... fall into the "what was I thinking category ". But still miss my annual spree at the "Fat Quarter Queen".
Old 09-20-2011, 07:07 AM

GREAT ADVICE!!

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I always tell folks, walk it three times..makes notes of the booth you saw it in, and what it was and the price...then sit down, do some math...and THEN...to avoid buyer's remorse...go to the booth ALONE so there is NO peer pressure..remember your friends really do like to spend YOUR money..heheheh
Old 09-20-2011, 07:22 AM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
I'm that way with patterns, but most of my gadgets I use at some point, just not all right away. Had a light box that I didn't touch for 3 years, now I use it tons. I figure, when I need it, I will have it and not have to buy a ton of stuff at once for a project.
That sounds good, I'll use this story with my DH. Wonder if he will believe me?
Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I went to the PA quilt show in Oaks, PA last Thurs & again Sun (one admission price covered all 4 days). Oh yes, it was fun. The quilts & goodies were beautiful. But I really pretty good at money management. But this quilt show I just felt reckless...I bought the x-block template from the Sue Pelland booth thurs went back sun & bought the book and another template. Bought a few panels (yea like I need more of those!), A kalidescope template, marking chalk, some charms, a really neat template for making leaves. Geez I don't use 90% of the items in my sewing room already...I had to vent somewhere...anyone else have a "spend foolish" story?
Well, I went to Marietta Quilt Show and purchased raffle tickets, etc. I almost purchased a Martenelli cutting mat that was very pricey. However, the reason I DIDN'T was because about 2 weeks ago, after my Artista was damaged, I took my machine in and had it checked out.
They were not sure it was fixable. Soooo, I purchased a B380 Bernina and several goodies thinking my machine was unfixable. NOT SO; By Friday, I found out it would cost $170.00 to repair and that included a $90.00 service.
So even though I have a lighter machine that allows me to take to quilting classes, etc. I SHOULD have waited just four days to find out if my Artista was fixable! If I had waited I wouldn't have spent ANY money on a new machine and therefore be alot richer!
Old 09-20-2011, 08:16 AM

I bought a bunch of 'special feet' for my machine and a video to tell me how to use them.

The lady had a great painted machine and the demo was great....But I have never used the feet and neither has the other people with me who bought them.

What a waste, Kathy
Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM

I was just going to ask you the same question, thanks!
Originally Posted by CAJAMK
Originally Posted by nclauri
I love the quilt in your avatar! The colors are so striking. What is the name of the pattern?
That is a simple Diappearing 9 patch. thanks for the compliment
Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned

Not anymore.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Three years ago, I had the blessing of winning the 1st place prize for all expense paid trip to Paducah, plus $200 cash. Did the happy dance & set out. I spent the $200 on a new style rotary cutter & mat, neither of which I use or like. Wished I had spent the money on fabric instead. Live, learn & quilt, I always say. At least I would have had something to show for my good fortune.