Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 09-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by taggertykl
HELP! I've finished hand-appliquing several blocks and now need to go back and do the embroidery. I want to use a gold metallic thread and continue hand-sewing. However, I've tried 4 different metallic threads and every one of them frays. Is there a "secret" to hand-sewing with metallic thread? What brands do you recommend??

Thanks!
I haven't used them but I am under the impression it does take some patience.
There are a few ladies here, that can probably help.
As an alternative, there are many shades of gold or yellow embroidery flosses.
I have the patience, but not the concentration with interruptions, so I'm using different colored flosses.
Can't wait to see yours!
I hope I have something to share soon. :thumbup:
Old 09-22-2011, 03:08 PM

I dropped in ladies. your blocks are looking good. went to a local quilt quild today. saw ladies i have not seen for 20 yrs. how about a slice of homemade zuccinni bread?
Old 09-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Power Poster

zucchini bread? yum...maybe it'll cure what ails me, lol!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:34 AM

I am on the last of the center blocks,I will set it together and put the first border on it and then post a pic it. I am so excited about it. I have to go Tues for my yearly mammmogram. This is going on my sixth year since my Left mastectomy. Yeaaaaaaa
Old 09-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
I am on the last of the center blocks,I will set it together and put the first border on it and then post a pic it. I am so excited about it. I have to go Tues for my yearly mammmogram. This is going on my sixth year since my Left mastectomy. Yeaaaaaaa
I can't wait to see your center section. Congraulations on being a cancer survivor for almost 6 years. I celebrated my 18th year of being a survivor on June 7th. It's a great feeling. Best wishes with your mammo.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Tomorrow is Week #17. Can you believe we've been at this for 17 weeks now? This week is the week you can assemble your center unit of 16 blocks together. The following 2 weeks are designated for the inner borders. I gave you all the extra time in case you are planning of creating the border. If you have found the perfect fabric, you are getting a 2 week vaca or time to catch up if you need to.

Photos can be posted on the thread for the Center Unit.

Happy Stitching.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-261877.jpe
Views:	102
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	261930  
Old 09-25-2011, 05:55 AM

I would have loved to be in this BOM but it seems so late already. Do you know if you'll have another for 2012 similar to this one??
Old 09-25-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by jetmaio
I would have loved to be in this BOM but it seems so late already. Do you know if you'll have another for 2012 similar to this one??
This isn't really a BOM - it's just a group of people sewing at their own pace making the same quilt and sharing their experiences. Some of us started waaaaay early, some started at the time allotted, and some start whenever they find out about it. You can start and finish anytime you want.

As for next year, who knows. Kathy and some others are talking about doing Little Brown Bird. I, for one, am terrified of that one - no way!!! Patti has mentioned working on a William Morris design. Anyone can pick a quilt they want to make and post it on the board and ask if anyone wants to join in. Kathy has done a fabulous job of organizing this group sew and keeping track of where we are and starting links for people to post their pictures. We are all having a great time. I for one have learned so much though my interactions with everyone here. I'm not sure what I will be working on next year, but also hope there's a group sew that involves something I'd like to make.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by jetmaio
It is never too late to join our group. We will be here long after the schedule says we are done! This group is a hold-over from the Dear Jane project. These ladies are great & so much fun to hang out with!

You can work on any block(s) you feel like. Some of us have worked ahead (JTG-jumped the gun club) but others have only done a few blocks. There is always room for more. Work at your own pace - fast & furious or slow & steady -it doesn't matter. Welcome to the group. Glad to have you!!!
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 AM

Judy, Little Brown Bird can very easily be done by machine. Since I ended up doing AOTH by hand, I am doing LBB by machine with hand embroidery, which is what I should have done this time, but didn't.