Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
I'm upset...he didn't like it >

I'm upset...he didn't like it

I'm upset...he didn't like it

Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM

He must be old. He probably just had no idea of what his words would do... Please do not take it so hard. I know it hurts, but I bet he did not mean it come out like it did. Old men sometimes just don't think about what their words will do to us women... sorry, please don't let it stop you from making more and doing more and giving more!!!~ Keep on sewing !
Old 09-22-2011, 10:14 AM

I am so sorry to hear that you have been hurt - it is so unfair when you took the time to make something special for him. I say take it back and you hang it somewhere you can admire it everyday...I think it is beautiful. Don't be put off by his reaction - I love making things for people, but I have not had the experience that you unfortunately had.

Smile and keep making beautiful things for people - you can't please everyone - as hard as it may be to deal with -- don't let one bad experience deter your willingness to create beautiful projects for those around you.

Sue in PA
Old 09-22-2011, 03:12 PM

Your quilt is beautiful. I'm sorry he did not see the love which you put into this gift. Hang in there!
Old 09-22-2011, 03:19 PM

I don't usually go for the patriotic stuff, but you did a nice job...and it reminds me of some things from the Civil War.
I cannot imagine ever saying anything like what he said to my kids, even if I hated it.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:21 PM

The very FIRST thing I thought when I saw your quilt was "WOW...VERY SHARP!!". Listen...my father had all 4 of his kids spending their ENTIRE ADULT LIVES trying to find something he would like - and maybe say thank you for. He was just a mean spirited old fart about things. Never a thanks.. just a snide comment. It certainly does CUT DEEP emotionally. I'd go get it back (telling your dad you want to work on it a little more). Then, I'd save that quilt until you saw someone TOTALLY LIGHT UP when they saw it one day...and THAT'S the person I'd give it to. I wouldn't keep it as all you'll do is think of the disappointment it brought to you thanks to your dad's unappreciative reaction. Then.. I'd NEVER make him another quilt. I just cringed when I read your post.. I have SO BEEN THERE FELT THAT with my own father prior to his passing that it gets my hackles up fast. WHY ever would a person be so insensitive to a beautiful gift made by his daughter? You did a beautiful thing for him...and it just didn't matter. He's a mean old pickle..
Old 09-22-2011, 05:47 PM

I think it is just beautiful. If he doesn't like it, then you should take it back and keep it for yourself. Some people just don't understand the love that goes into a hand made gift - they don't appreciate how special that gift really is. I love it!!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:20 AM

I have learned from experience, and now only make gifts for people I know will appreciate them. Anyone else receives carefully chosen presents not made by me (I leave that phrase "carefully chosen" to your imagination!) My good friends and relations know that I make unique gifts especially for them. Forget this unfortunate experience - onwards and upwards!
Old 09-23-2011, 05:07 AM

I know how hurtful that can be!! We work so hard on something for someone and they don't appreciate it. So sorry that it happened to you! I think it's lovely and you did a great job!!! :thumbup:
Old 09-23-2011, 05:17 AM

From what I can see, it had nothing to do with the job you did, that looks wonderful. Look at it this way, he hasen`t got a clue to what you did for him, but he is responsible for his reactions! We all know at least one person that can not be pleased.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:14 AM

OOOOH a hunters star. I think You did a wonderful job and the colors are grand. I am so sorry He said that to you. I would write him a letter explaining how that made you feel and your were sorry he felt that way about something you made. I will pray for him and you too. have a wonderful day and just give it to someone that will appreciate it. hopefully your father is not suffering from any brain issues Like Dementhia or Onset Alzheimers, they do say things like that.
You did wonderful, pls don't let that stop you.