Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to build your stash! >

How to build your stash!

How to build your stash!

Old 09-24-2011, 05:28 AM

AND no matter what I find in my stash I always need just a tad of some different color for something special.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:30 AM

Yes and I went to quilters paradise and got a bunch because they are going out of business
Old 09-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Ed

Originally Posted by lovinquilting
Ok everyone, when you try to build your stash, do buy fat quarters, jelly rolls, charm packs, etc? Or, do you buy mostly yards. Am trying to build my stash but don't want to spend foolishly. I see the stashes on this board and my mouth drops.
I noticed when we have our big fabric sale, (20% off) the quilters build their stash. A lot of quilters that come to our shop know that when they buy the rest of the bolt we give an additional 5% off, that’s 25% off. If the fabric is not on sale – they get 10% off for taking the rest of the bolt. Plus when they buy 10 or more loose FQ’s they are only $1 each. So their stash can build up fast. If you don’t know if your LQS has sales like this, you might ask them if they do, and when.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:48 AM

I don't buy much yardage because I don't know what I would do with it.... however at the last Quilt Hop I realized I am a Pre-cut junkie. I have jelly rolls, charm packs, double the charm, layer cakes, and honey buns. Missouri Star Quilt Co.'s Daily Deals are hard to resist.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:54 AM

I usually buy what the pattern calls for _+ extra in case it shrinks or I make a mistake. And I shop at a store that always is very generous with their measuring and cutting. But this week, my DH took me to a garage sale that was selling quilting fabric -- and I bought lots. One of the pieces was almost 7 yds. I'm having a ball getting the ends serged, washing, ironing, folding and admiring.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 AM

I buy 1/2 yard cuts. I make scrap quilts and this works great.
For me buying yards of the same fabric doesn't make since, if I don't have a specific quilt I'm working on. It may depend on the size of quilts and what kind of quilts you are planning to make. Crib? Kids? Lap for the elderly? I'd rather have
6- 1/2 yard pieces than a 3 yard piece. Much more versatile.
I am also limited on space, so I have to make enough quilt tops to use up some of my stash before I have room to buy more fabric. LOL Plus, I think our tastes change in fabric as well as the type of quilts we make. This is another reason not to go overboard on buying a lot of yardage at a time.
Have fun buying fabric which ever way you decide to go.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
i buy yards as much as i can or the rest of the bolt.
Me, too. I LOVE cleaning up bolts!

Lori
Old 09-24-2011, 06:30 AM

I, usually, buy fabric by the half yard unless I have specific directions for yardage.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:35 AM

I tend to buy fabric lines from favorite designers or mfgs.
I just bought Kate Spain's Terrain and I just love it. Bought FQ and some yardage. I'm always checking on Craig's list for "quilting" fabric and supplies. Sometimes it works. A few months ago a lady was selling off her online quilt store inventory. Now that was a good one. Nice, well-known brands at $2-3 per yard. However, that was pure luck. Just have fun.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 AM

Yeah, I see the stashes on this board and gape at them too. I could never justify that much fabric in my life :) :)

I don't bother anymore with FQs because of inconsistency, EXCEPT at my LQS. They are always accurate and often times give even more. Everywhere else I buy, I buy yardage just to insure I have even FQs. I've never gotten short-changed online either, but places like JoAnn are almost always inconsistent. They can't use rotary cutters there and I am sure that is one reason among many.