Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How large of a  QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine? >

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:44 AM

The largest quilt I've done is a king size. OF COURSE, I use a quilt-as-you-go-method. My hats off to folks who can do a regular quilt on a domestic machine: amazing!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:57 AM

100 X 110. Was quite a job, but well worth it.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
I have made a small baby quilt in the past that I only machine quilted by doing the stitch in the ditch with clear thread so all mistakes would not be pronounced, and it was difficult at best, trying to roll it up and maneuver it etc. I was wondering what the largest size quilt any of you have done on your machine? THere are probably tips and tricks I haven't learned yet that would make it easier or not? Or do you just opt to hand quilt or have it LA quilted etc?
This is what I am working on now as I also have a smaller machine.
When all of the panels are finished and ready to put together I am going to complete it as a Rag Quilt. Will be queen size.

Will be tacking each panel(using a dark green cotton thread) before sewing together. Works very well on this D9P. Not sure as yet if the "rag" part will be on the top part of the quilt or the bottom. Will have to decide before I put it all together.

Each panel is 18" square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]261596[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-261543.jpe
Views:	28
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	261596  
Old 09-24-2011, 07:25 AM

I am new to piecing and quilting. My first quilt is queen size and I am quilting it, SID, on my little portable machine. The throat measures only 5 3\4". I spray and pin basted then started quilting from the center out. I used a folding method on the outermost edges to keep it on my table and the flat, folded surface slid better than bunching it. As it gets closer to where I am actually stitching, I tend to bunch it against the throat keeping the fabric taut with the fingers on my left hand. So far, it has been relatively simple, tho slow going. I also work 40 hrs a week, cook and clean the house so devote every opportunity I get to working on my quilt and it isf going great! I don't think Id opt for LA or handquilting.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:35 AM

King size. And I'm getting ready to do 2 more king size. I've done a few queen size, and many large lap size. When I do SID I roll the quilt. When I do FMQ I puddle them. That's what works best for me. My first king size was on a DSM with a 7" harp. Now I have a Pfaff with a 9" harp and it is easier.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
maybe 16 inches by 16 inches LOL
Don't laugh, that is how I quilt larger ones. I make 16x16 blocks quilt them, then sew them into rows. After making enough rows I sews it all together.....tada.......Large quilt 60x 80
Old 09-24-2011, 07:44 AM

Thank you for all the posts, this is great info. I just finished my first quilting project on my Brother CS6000i, which has a really short neck. It was a twin and apart from the fact that I'm unpracticed it came out pretty good. I wouldn't hesitate to do another twin on it. I never really thought I could go much bigger than that though and I'm intrigued that so many of you have done queens and bigger. I doubt I will ever make anything much larger than a queen but now I kind of want to try ... maybe after I have a few more twins under my belt!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Oh and those of you who have quilted in halves and then sewn the parts together, I'd love to know how you pulled that off. I can't picture how that might be done ...
Old 09-24-2011, 08:03 AM

I have done at least 2 queen size quilts, both bedspread size. I had lots of table space to help support the quilt which is very necessary. They are work, but you feel great when you get it done! And both of my kids really appreciated them. Good luck. I now have a mid arm (18") machine quilting machine, so it's much easier.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:17 AM

I do queens on my reg machine now-use to do them on my treadle I have a very old quilt frame that has long thin nails/pins thats now attached to the wall I stretch out the back then batting then the top- pin it then I can roll the bottom up -the top down put them in quilt clips and they stay tight enough to fit thru the throat I no longer have any puckers I did do a Cal King with xtra 24inches to length and width but I did it as if they were 4 seperate quilts then after putting the 4 together I hand stitched the 2 center sashes on by hand to complete the back quilt pattern.