Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How large of a  QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine? >

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

How large of a QUILT you would Machine QUILT on regular machine?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:43 PM

Oh yes, I have done many queen size quilts on my Bernina 830 (the old one) and it is harder but can be done. I do it on my big dining room table to help support the quilt. Go for it, you can do it, but practice on smaller sandwiches to get the feel of FMQ or a pattern. Gook Luck. Chrispin
Old 09-24-2011, 07:19 PM

I have done a twin but now with my new way of adding sections to the backing and quilting as I go, I think I will be ready to tackle any size when the time comes that I make something larger.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:19 PM

I have some bed size quilts that are in my head more than anywhere else yet. I have a book on machine quilting that's just straight stitching, but there's a lot of it that I really don't understand yet.

I've kept the notes here. I don't have the room for quilt tops that aren't quilted, so I just haven't made them. I'd like to be able to make two next year....maybe 3. Patterns are starting to amass in my bookshelf!

I'm making all table runners this year. I have a Singer 66 I got because the throat area is huge. I have it just for machine quilting. I'm hoping to quilt the rest of the table runners and one twin on her to get some practice, then some larger projects next year. I just don't have the time to hand quilt them all anymore...though I still do all the special ones that way.

Thanks again, this was a great thread!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Twin-double size is the largest I would quilt myself on my machine...any larger than that is just too difficult to handle for me.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 PM

I have quilted about 10 queen size quilts on my regular size machine!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:00 PM

I have machine quilted a double quilt on a regular machine. However, I only used a walking foot as all the quilting lines were straight. I got a very good result
Old 09-25-2011, 05:05 AM

I have done many, many queens, only one king but i probably won't do that again. I always do stitch in the ditch.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:39 AM

I forgot to say that quilting gloves are a must when FMQ a large quilt!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:59 AM

I have see a set up similar to this at the Sewing Expo last year... I almost purchased it but the throat on my old Pfaff is not 6 in deep...which was a requirement to use it... just purchased a quilting Brother so much larger space to work in now.. .. so will probably get it this year.. anyway... they use PVC pipe where you are yousing the sides where you put floor boxes.. and it has clamps.. to hold quilt tight using PVC also to roll on.. was only
$100 if I remember correctly...
Originally Posted by Laura F
I have a Juki with a 9" harp and a big sewing table that my DH made for me. I turn my sewing machine and sew from the head. I also roll my quilt from both sides around pvc pipe. I start in the middle and mostly meander. I'm waiting to get my machine dropped into the table, but for now I use what ever I can find that is the same height as my machine for the pipe to slide on. This keeps the quilt level with my machine and much easier to handle. I pin baste and so I need to think which way I will roll the quilt or I get stuck a lot. Planning on trying safety pins with my next quilt. It just takes time, but very rewarding.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by penski
Originally Posted by mpeters1200
So if I've read the responses correctly, some of you quilt in sections by making each section an individual quilt and then stitching them together when complete.

Others of you machine quilt in sections, but the whole quilt is one large piece. I'm very interested in how this is done. Do you pin or spray baste it, then work in one spot at a time? Do you work from the center of the section out or from what is the center of the quilt out? How do you bunch, either scrunch or roll, the sections of the quilt you are not working on? I think I'm going to have to invest in one of those table add on things that make extend off the bed of the machine creating a little table that's at the same level of the machine.

I've machine quilted one queen size. I only did a cross hatch, but then did a coil border on it. Worst quilting ever. I was really unhappy with it. Bunched up. Had to rip half the stitching out and redo it as there were puckers and wrinkles that were then quilted on. Big pain in the rear.

I'm not very computer savvy. Are there specific things to try and search for like words or phrases to find a tute either on this board or somewhere else? I'm going to have another queen size that will need to be machine quilted in about a year. I'm wanting to do some research on the best way to quilt it. Any resources that you guys would suggest?

Thanks...

Melissa
the only way i know how to quilt a loarge quilt on my regular machine is this ..it is not simple but it works for me. after finishing my top i lay the backing on the floor(or large table if i can use one at the civic center) face up and tape it down to the floor tight and straight, then i lay my batting (warm and natural) on top of that all straight then ilay my top on top of that all straight when it looks like i have everything straight i look at it and decide how big of section i want to quilt at a time i usually do it in 3 rds, two sides and the middle, i pull the top back on its self and find the middle section , i then CAREFULLY cut the batting only into 3 sections left side middle and right side and at one end of the batting (the excess) along the bottom i write left, midddle right , i cut the sections of the BATTING ONLY) becareful not to cut the backing also! then i take the left side off and the right side off and spray baste the middle section where it belongs to the backing , spray again the top of the batting (the part that will lye against the top and pull the top over the middle section i sprayed and pat it down to make sure it is set correct let it sit for about 10 minutes to adhere then take the other sections i cut out set them aside for later , roll up the sides that have no batting and quilt that section with batting , dont go all the way to the batting end side in quilting because you have to set the next row of batting next to it you can then go back and quilt that section when put together after the middle is done lay quilt out again and spray baste the next marked section of batting make sure to butt the edges up to the side you already didspray it in place , quilt the same way and do the other side putting the batting in place and quilting it , then the whole quilt is done and the pushing and pulling thru the sewing macine is not as difficult because you dont have the bulk the batting makes, i also thinkit is very useful and a must is to have a large table that sits to the left of you for the quilt to lay on as you are quilting also a fair amount of spce ahead of you as the quilt comes out of the machine if you can have you sewing machine facing a wall with a space big enough for your quilt to lay on after coming out of the machine it is easier, the wall will prevent it from going back on the floor and not gettin drag as the table to the left of you will also keep it up so as not to get drag , also dont forget to use your sewing gloves i hope this helps it is the only way i can quilt my large quilts till i can get me a larger sewing machine
Penski,

This information was so helpful as I have a large queen size to do, thank you. A quick question, do you fasten the battings together after you butt them up. I'm thinking whipping the batting together or using that iron on batting tape? Or does the quilting hold them together good enough?