Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarter Ripe-off >

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Old 09-25-2011, 06:54 AM
elm

Say something. They will make it right. I brought in a fat quarter that I had picked up months earlier, but never unfolded. It had a flaw. They asked if I wanted to choose another or get a credit.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by TxDiana
At a Joanns in Tulsa Ok...the numbers on the end of the bult read 5.99 yard... So I asked for 2 yards. While cutting the employee said it was 2.99 a yard which excited me so I said I would take 6 yards.. Tickled I had gotten a great price for beautifu material... When I glanced at the ticket it was 12.99 a yard... Times 6 yards= $$ .. It upset me so, and this store was so crowded it took over 45 min for my number to come up... I was just going to leave the material after the employee told me the 5.99 was the number of yards on the bolt NOT the price.....I asked where the 12.99 was located at..... No responce.... At the check out my husband and friend with me asked to see manager... I was just going to let it all go... So tired of JoAnns rude employees and short cutting anyways!!!! My husband explained the situation.... The manager, maybe 20 yes old, got an attitude with my husband..... So my husband asked for the CEO number and said he was calling Corp. Office on rudness in the store.... Well, I wanted to just leave,and my husband did tell me I could go to the car if I wanted... And I did... LoL........ About 20 min later her comes my husband with my 6 yards and 4 more yards... Of this beautiful material....... At 2.99 a yard!!!!!!!!..... Now at 2.99 a yard.... I was tickled.... My husband said he has watched me for months thrift shopping, coupon shopping for materials and supplies. And me sewing till 2-3am.. To get 22 quilts made for all the grandkids for Christmas... He said he could tell I loved the material and he wanted me to have it at the price I was quoted...... What a great husband I have!!!!! I live 8 hours from that JoAnns so there won't be a problem with me never going back into the store...... Just wanted everyone to know......stand up to JoAnns rude employees...ps.... My husband stilled called Corp office.. And he rec a complete refund.. And 2 company coupons for 30% off total sale at anytime.. Including sale items...
Bless your DH's heart. Can you clone him? I might just give up being a forevermore widow for a guy like him!!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 AM

I had this happen MANY times - finally after buying 2 fabric cuts & straightening the first one, I realized, wow this is what HAS been happening so many times. I measured the 2nd cut and sure enough that was off - one end correct right on the line (no extra} but the other end was short. I returned it and asked for the correct amount which they did give me, no fuss no problem. I also did email JoAnns' & told them this has happened much too often. Did get a response to tell them which store, etc. and to talk to the manager. The employees are told not to give even an extra 1/2" but many do not realize that both ends are rarely cut even. Also, unfortunately some don't care even if you try to explain the situation. To them, just a job ! :cry: :roll:
Old 09-25-2011, 08:42 AM

I have been watching this topic. This has got to be one of my biggest pet peeves!

In general LQS are not corporately owned. The thinkers, planners, organizers, buyers, and owners are right there in the shop, many times being the same person or at least related to them. They don't have to keep their stockholders happy by paying dividends! Generally YOU are the person they must keep happy! And they have experience behind the sewing machine. Euphemistically, they would be foolish to hire a burger-flipper when their employees need to have sewing knowledge. Corporate mentality is such that they hire low wage burger-flippers to maximize profits and put them in places where experience is needed, thinking they can TRAIN them.

In the very distant past, I worked for a small chain store in a distant state that was eventually purchased by JoAnn's. Things changed dramatically when JoAnn's took over. We had been a store centered on customer service. Their private motto/policy had been, "If the customer brings in a dozen eggs and claims to have purchased them here, we refund it!" I enjoyed working there tremendously! The customers were happy! When we cut a yard we measured from the OUTSIDE of our thumbs TO MAKE SURE THE CUSTOMER GOT WHAT SHE PAID FOR. Measuring on the outside gives the customer maybe an inch or two per yard to keep her happy and coming back! When JoAnn's took over everything changed, and very much for the worse.

They wanted to increase what was paid to the stockholders. They called the outside of the thumbs rule "wasteful". Stingy cutting increases corporate profits which go to the stockholders! It was their policy to make sure the customer got ONLY what she ASKED for, not caring if she got what she PAID for. Fabric is never completely on grain while on the bolt and JoAnn's does not take this into consideration. You ask for 1 yard and you get 1 scant, usually very crooked yard from which you usually have to cut 2-4 inches to get it back on grain! Their attitude was that it is going to be cut up and go unused to be thrown out anyway and the customer will never notice it! I heard this said by upper management! This stinginess makes for customers who don't trust the store because of the disappointment which happens when she gets home. I did not work for JoAnn's very long.

A short while back I bought a piece of braided trim from JoAnn's for the edge of a corset I was making. I bought 1 yard, which was more than what I needed for the two edges that needed bound. When I got home I did not measure it or cut it in half, but just started sewing it onto one edge, then the other. The second piece was too short! I chalked it up to poor planning on my part and went back to buy another piece. I asked for a yard, which was enough because I already had one side done. When the woman cut the piece she stretched it across the yardstick, then cut it. For those of you who only do quilting and not clothing construction, it is like asking for a yard of elastic and having her stretch it while measuring. When the piece of trim relaxed, it was only 3/4 yard long! I told her I asked for a yard and there was only 3/4! She stood there and argued with me that it was a yard and I laid it against the yardstick showing her that it only came to the 3/4 mark! She said that everyone in the store had just gone through retraining for cutting and it is store policy to pull everything taut against the ruler. I told her that if she charges me 3/4 of a yard for it, I will still take it (because I really only needed 1/2 yard), but not at the price of 1 yard. I had to get the manager involved and she stood there with a blank look on her face! I had to show her how to measure properly, by laying it against the yardstick. She eventually cut me a very scant yard piece, but never once apologized. I did not go back for several years!

If you are buying a fat quarter, you expect to get half of a half yard piece that is ON GRAIN! 18 inches ON GRAIN! Otherwise you are getting cheated! It is not important to JoAnn's that the fabric be on grain. They are concerned that YOU ARE RIPPING THEM OFF by expecting to get what you paid for!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 AM

That is y i do not buy quilt fabric from Joann's. poor quality on all their quilt fabric i believe.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:25 AM

Perhaps fat Q's are going to be cut like lumber.......as in a 2 x4 isn't really a 2" x4" ............don't know........calla
Old 09-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
I just brought 6 fat quarters from the JoAnn's Rustling Leaves Collection. The size stated is 18" x 21". I thought a fat quarter was 18" x 22". I am unhappy with the the size, but I am frustrated with the fact that all 6 fat quarters were cut so crooked, that I had to cut 2" off each one in order to use them.

Should I say something to the store manager at JoAnn's about this?

Crooked fabric cost money and less fabric to use.

Mary/stitchengramie
Too bad you already cut off the extra to make it straight, I would have been back there in minutes and showed them the problem. I've done the same thing at a fabric store and there was no problem at all in exchanging the FQ.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:45 PM

You folks are so geat! I have bought many a FQ from Joann's and have not used them in any quilts so far. I'll have to be careful regarding measurements when I do!!! The nearest Joann's tome is 60 miles away so I don't go often.

What are your thoughts and experiences with Handcock fabrics? The nearest one to me is 45 miles way!
I'd be interested to know...
Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM

I rea somewhere if you purchase stuff with your credit card and it is not satisfactory you can get your money back thru your credit card. If all quilters could/would do this and the credit card companys did get after Joann's for reimbursement nationwide, I would think they'd get the message. I live 150 miles from anyone but my local quilt store and Ben Franklin, and they are 30 miles, but both stores are TERRIFIC!
Old 09-25-2011, 07:24 PM

yes i think so, thats not much until all you like is 2in making what your working on.