Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Clothes line or rack thing? >

Clothes line or rack thing?

Clothes line or rack thing?

Old 09-27-2011, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

I perfer to hang mine out on a clothes line.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 AM

All depends on the weather. If in doubt, basement. I don't hang outside in the winter either. Some things like sheets, towels and jeans always go in the dryer.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:45 AM

Clothesline. I have a wooden rack that gets used for hanging newly washed and ironed quilt fabrics, but that's all I use it for nowadays.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:07 AM

Hello i don't have a dryer i hang out during the summer and the winter months i hang my clothes on wooden racks.This saves me money all year around.The dryers are nice if you have to have something fast otherwise it uses electric and gas.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:13 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

love the smell of sheets and towels after being hung out to dry !!
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by bluteddi
I prefer a clothes line... I always seem to have more than my rack will hold....
Same here- I love a cloths line inside or out
Old 09-27-2011, 06:54 AM

We wound up buying a rack also. Only have so much room for lines in our basement. Not that we have room for this huge rack either, but it's still raining and we have to do something! I've put in my years at laundro-mats. I'd like to avoid going back if possible.

One of my fav things is fresh sheets right off the line. Oh - and towels that were hung on a super windy day. :)
Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 AM

When I lived in China, we had no dryesrs, so I always hung my clothes on hangers outsie my window in all kinds of weather. (even when it was raining all day), the wind would eventually dry my clothes.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:45 AM

I used to hang almost everything outside on an umbrella type dryer. Then I got a full time job and small items went into dryer but my knits were always hung outside unless the weather was bad. Fast forward many years, I'm older and can't carry load of wash to the outside dryer and back indoors so it's the dryer from now on.

I always liked towels dried in the dryer as they are always nice and fluffy. Outdoor drying of towels depended upon there being a breeze or if it wasn't too hot out, towels dried very stiff if there was no breeze and the temp was too high.

I also agree that the restrictions against outside clotheslines or dryers isn't good for the environment.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:01 AM

Since I have no dryer, I always have to use the clothes lines. No problem there except for rainy weather. In that case (as well as having to hang our "darks"), I have two lines under the veranda eaves to hang those. The lines are strung with hooks and so I can put them out when needed and then roll the lines up when I"m done. When the weather stays wet for many days, besides the under the eaves lines, I have one strung up in my laundry room as well as use my shower curtain rod (with shirts on hangers) to let them dry. Hate hanging clothes in rainy weather as it can take a two or three days to dry and laundry (to me) has a musty smell. But....what can one do when bad weather strikes for days, huh???