Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality? >
  • Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

• Why Are Connecting Threads' Prices So Low--Batiks, Threads--Is it Poor Quality?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 AM

I wemt to my neighborhood store and found that they were 11.00 a yard and I came home and bought over $250 worth of batiks and they are gorgeous. They are just as bice or even better than others in the stores. They package them and mark each piece and they were very prompt in send them. CT is the place for all my batiks in the future. Jane
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I've purchased a few of their fabric (batik and print) and they are OK. Better than most of the fabric I've seen at Joanne's, but not quite as good as most of the fabric I've seen an LQS. I say "most" because there are always exceptions in both directions.

Their thread is another story. I bought I think 10 spools in different colors with the intention to use on a landscape quilt. I used a tiny bit of I think 3 colors and gave up and sold the whole lot here on QB. I HATED that thread. It says it's 50wt but when compared to a 50wt higher quality thread (like Aurifil or Superior to name only two) the CT thread was more than twice as thick. Also, the amount of thread lint was HORRIBLE. I was FMQ'ing little feet (just the outline of the foot!) and I did 4-5 feet that were only 4" long (so total thread used is perhaps a few yards tops??) and when I was done there was so much lint it covered the whole needle shaft about 1/2" all the way around. SERIOUSLY. I was even using a larger needle than I would have ordinarily used with a 50wt thread.

So from me ...

Fabric - thumbs up
    Thread - thumbs down
    With regard to your experiences with Connecting Threads Essentials thread, I do not believe you are comparing apples to apples, so to speak. Essentials thread is indeed 50 weight, but it is a 3 ply thread, making it thicker than Aurifil's 50 weight 2 ply thread that you and I use for piecing.

When I'm piecing and want to maintain a 1/4" or scant 1/4" seam allowance, especially in a block with a lot of pieces, I will use Aurifil 50/2, a thinner thread, as it takes up less space in the seam allowance. I commonly use CT's Essentials for all of my machine quilting since it shows up nicely. I will also use it in seams where this standard size thread thickness does not matter.

I'm sorry to hear of your troubling experience with this thread and hope you find my info helpful. I have never had problems with it causing much lint at all. I wonder if your lint problems may have had something to do with the size needle you were using? I nearly always use a 80/12 needle when piecing. Or, it may have been caused by your fabric possibly too, as in fleece for example.
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 AM

The thread is great. very good quality. i have not tried the batiks.
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:01 AM

I'm going to try this one out, I don't usually order on the web. But they do have good prices. Besides, there are also cool free patterns there. Like the snowman pincushions. lol

http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat...__D991470.html
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:31 AM

I haven't had problems with their fabric. Some seems to be thinner than others, but they've worked out fine whenever I've used them. I, too, like toget the charm packs to "test" them.
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:42 AM
    Power Poster

I really love their stuff!
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by annthreecats
    I have made several purchases of fabric and thread and I have not been disappointed in anything I have received. I think their prices are low because they are on-line only. No brick and mortar store.
    I agree that this is how they keep their prices down. They don't have a store and the kind of overhead that comes with it. Their customer service is great, their fabric feels so good...so soft and not thin. I do notice that with some of their fabric I get a lot of threads fraying but not a real great problem. I have yet to use their thread but will surely try it since reading this topic. The colors are great and they have really good sale prices.
    Old 09-29-2011, 09:01 AM

I use Connecting Threads fabric and threads and love them. I cant afford 9-10 bucks a yard right now, but do on occasion shop my LQS and pick up small amounts to continue my support of them.
    Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 AM

I really like their fabric. The service is great too. I know if I order on Tuesday, most of the time, I will get the package on Friday.
    Old 09-29-2011, 09:07 AM

I just received a first time order from them. I purchased the wine bags and stem cozie kit along with extra material to make gifts for several family members. The fabric looks great!