Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. .... >

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. ....

Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM

Check out Wae Eagle Mill. It is in Arkansas and they mill different types of flours,etc and package some in cloth bags. Their product is very good too.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by scrappylady
Check out Wae Eagle Mill. It is in Arkansas and they mill different types of flours,etc and package some in cloth bags. Their product is very good too.
Boy, I can't type/spell. I meant War Eagle Mill
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM

What about if they just ran annual "sales" so that if you bought a bag of flour, inside was an old fashioned cloth bag (not used of course) I bet all of us quilters would make them show a quick profit :)
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 PM

I agree. Let me know when the letter-writing campaign begins!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel
What about if they just ran annual "sales" so that if you bought a bag of flour, inside was an old fashioned cloth bag (not used of course) I bet all of us quilters would make them show a quick profit :)
I remember when we use to buy clothes soap and inside was a drinking glass or dishtowel or handtowel. And when you bought a tank of gas you got a free steak knife. Those were the days. Of course I also remember green stamps! It WOULD be nice to get a flour sack inside a bag of flour or rice.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM

I remember all of the above things. I also remember the prices of long ago. My husband's favorite saying when I mention these things is "That was then...This is now"
Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Yes, I remember green stamps. Got a baby scale with them. Also got a very cooler back in the early 70s; just discarded it a couple of months ago because with the kids all grown we weren't using it.

I remember milk delivered in glass bottles. I also remember when the milkman used a horse drawn cart!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:45 PM

[quote=scrapbeagle]
Originally Posted by Cosy
Originally Posted by RenaB
I wish A LOT of things would go back to "how it use to be"! I use to love going to the gas station and watching the full service guy pump the gas, check under the hood, etc.quote]

When our family ( maybe about 1958 or so), went on a car trip one weekend, we stopped at a gas station that had maybe a dozen or more pumps. Several men in white! uniforms came running out. One asked Dad( the driver) how they could help, and said soda and snacks were available inside, and we were welcome to use the clean restrooms. Another had opened the hood, and was checking fluid levels. Two men were washing windows, another checked the tires. The tank was filled, we were asked not only if they could do anthing else, but was everything done to our satisfaction. Only then, the bill was presented with thanks. Now, that was service. Memories.
One of our local grocers carries flour in sacks still. a couple of dollars more than paper sacks.

I can remember when you actually got "Service" at a service station. That was back when gas was .25 cents a gallon (my dad received a discount because he worked for one of the major oil companies!). Buying food in cloth bags would be wonderful. I wonder about coffee? Seems I have seen beans in cloth bags being loaded on/off ships along the Mississippi River - or I could be longing for simpler times. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
I am really going to date myself: I remember a "gas war" in the L.A. area when gas went down to $0.19 a gallon. And the stations used to give away glasses. My dad saved up the free glasses and gave away sets as Christmas presents...

Cheap? I don't know, my Mom stayed at home with us and taught us how to cook and helped with our homework...

I would sure go for feedsacks for our flour, etc... Oh, I forgot, we don't use sugar or flour. The only grains we eat are oats and quinoa...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by rusty quilter
I suspect it is all about money...the other "green" motivator!
Ditto!! Cotton cost's alot of money!!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
What if our flour, sugar, corn meal, baking mixes, etc....
CAME IN A CLOTH SACK again!?!?!?
Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL!?!?!?
I keep thinking this and excuse me if someone has already brought it up here, I'm still new and can't possibly get through all the posts AND SEW!~:)
What if we all wrote and bombarded them with requests? Would it make a difference? I would CERTAINLY buy that product, as long as it was a quality product. However, if it was a quality product, then all the more reason for packaging it nicely and in an appealing manner.
I'm so surprised with all the "green" and whatever going on... that nobody has done this. We quilters are a HUGE group of consumers~!!!!
Besides us, there are all these backyard chicken farmers, hobby farmers,etc. that would love their feed in cloth also.
What do you think?

I'm going to guess in this day and age, simple cloth would not fit the guidelines for packaging.