Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help please!: What Size Should I Cut My Scraps? >

Help please!: What Size Should I Cut My Scraps?

Help please!: What Size Should I Cut My Scraps?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Location: Winter/South Florida;Summer/anywhere & everywhere North

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM

I inherited quite a few scraps from my dear mother and at first I was going to cut them up using the Bonnie Hunter system but now that I've thought on it a while, I am going to color sort them instead and wait to see what my project is before I cut. I would hate to pre-cut just the right piece I need for a project and not be able to use it.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
I don't cut up my scraps. Mostly because I am too lazy. Sometimes I have been known to throw them out. As my grandmother once said, "we can't save everything". But we sure try.
I'll take 'em! :D
Yes!! Don't throw them out. There are many people on this forum that will gladly pay you the postage just to get a box of "crumbs". I have bought several boxes of crumbs from forum members and it's as exciting as opening my Christmas stocking, when I get a box of scraps in the mail. I like to make crumbs quilt squares....they are fun and addicting to make.

These blocks were made with assorted crumbs that I have received from various members of this forum. Each block is trimmed to 6" so you can see that some of the scraps are pretty small
[ATTACH=CONFIG]264247[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-264194.jpe
Views:	59
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	264247  
Old 09-29-2011, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Originally Posted by ghostrider
Unless you know exactly what you're going to need in the future, you may want to wait on the scrap cutting. :D
Totally agree! :D I know that I plan on making something from 1.5 squares so have been cutting and cutting and cutting (need a lot :D)
Are you making a postage stamp quilt? I have been cutting 2" squares for the same thing. I'm up to 900.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Thanks, PaperPrincess, I just read this whole thing and I am going to sort my scraps like this some day... I love Bonnie Hunters' scrap quilts! And the backs are fantastic, too~!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mucky
I only cut up scraps less than 1/2 yd.
All of my fabrics would be scraps if I did this....I almost always buy in 1/2 yard increments...unless I know I would want it for a border or sashing. I love scrap quilts so the more fabrics, the better.

When a fabric gets low to me is when it is less than 6" left...then I may cut the rest into strips...maybe a 2" strip and a 3" strip, or 2-2" strips and a 1-1/2" strip.
If I just have a bit of fabric left that I can't cut strips out of, then I will cut squares out of it, starting with 6" squares, and down from there. I keep squares in plastic shoeboxes...and often will use the squares as I do chain piecing, sewing 2 together, and it is amazing how much "extra" sewing gets done by doing that.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:53 PM

I use Bonnie Hunter's system, but only on scraps that are smaller than 5X5 square. Everything over that I leave as is. I am sewing 1.5 squares together as my leaders and enders. I have to say I like it. I feel extra productive!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:59 PM

I cut all scraps at 3". This way I can just start grabbing and sewing scrappy. Anything smaller is wasted on me.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:22 PM

I don't cut my scraps up...just fold them up until I need them.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Originally Posted by Kristin in ME
Originally Posted by quiltingcandy
I don't cut up my scraps. Mostly because I am too lazy. Sometimes I have been known to throw them out. As my grandmother once said, "we can't save everything". But we sure try.
I'll take 'em! :D
Yes!! Don't throw them out. There are many people on this forum that will gladly pay you the postage just to get a box of "crumbs". I have bought several boxes of crumbs from forum members and it's as exciting as opening my Christmas stocking, when I get a box of scraps in the mail. I like to make crumbs quilt squares....they are fun and addicting to make.
Cabbage Patch...these are awesome! What a great idea! I love all the colors. I could play I Spy with something like this too ;) Thanks so much for sharing!