Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Empty Thread Spools >

Empty Thread Spools

Empty Thread Spools

Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 PM

i had some wooden ones my DH varnished them and put them on my fan&light as pulls
Old 09-30-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sophie2
I am wondering if anyone does anything with their empty thread spools. I have been saving my for sometime thinking that I would do something crafty with them. So far I just have them in baskets in different parts of the house. My first thought was glueing them to a wire frame for a wreath and then add buttons and ribbons. Any other ideas?
This would never do for the modern child BUT: My Mother made us children a train using any round cardboard box (such as oatmeal) and wood thead spools as wheels. I believe the "cars" were hooked to each other with yarn. I do remember the smoke stack on the engine was also a spool. I loved that train and my sister and I played with it for years and years. To be honest, I think most children today would find it rather silly.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltinvaca
Originally Posted by Sophie2
I am wondering if anyone does anything with their empty thread spools. I have been saving my for sometime thinking that I would do something crafty with them. So far I just have them in baskets in different parts of the house. My first thought was glueing them to a wire frame for a wreath and then add buttons and ribbons. Any other ideas?
This would never do for the modern child BUT: My Mother made us children a train using any round cardboard box (such as oatmeal) and wood thead spools as wheels. I believe the "cars" were hooked to each other with yarn. I do remember the smoke stack on the engine was also a spool. I loved that train and my sister and I played with it for years and years. To be honest, I think most children today would find it rather silly.
I'll bet they would love it. My great grandchildren, 6 and 4, love the computer and computer games, but they love sidewalk chalk, sand pile and sand castles just as well. And all the hand push cars and dolls I have in their toy closet are just about worn out. froggyintexas
Old 09-30-2011, 06:25 PM

Mine are almost always the same size. I save them, then, during the holidays when I do a lot of fudge and other yummy things that need to spend time in the refrigreator, I put the spools between the cookie sheets to let me stack 4 or 5 sheets on one shelf. Works great.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 AM

I give mine to the preschool teacher and they also use them at the day care with a plastic yarn needle and yarn. Teaches them coordination and they love the necklaces.

Carol J.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:03 AM

If they are bigger, I use them to wrap my binding around when I am sewing it to the quilt. My machine has a vertical thread spool holder in the front (it is one of those that you can put a spool if needed so the pin comes out) and I can put the spool on the pin and unroll the binding without having it hang around my neck or bounce around in my lap.