Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-02-2011, 04:02 AM

I have purchased from ebay and had great experiences, however these are the things I do.

I always pay with Paypal.

I check the seller's feedback, especially the negative.

I also check to see how many feedbacks they have.

If they only have a few feedbacks, I do not take chances.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 AM

I have bought 2 machines on Ebay, a Pfaff,which is fabulous and a Viking 203 which is my least favorite machine.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I'm afraid of the shipping issue, so I don't even look at E-bay.
I love the machine I bought on ebay. The shipper took it to the UPS store. They threw it in a box with some styrofoam noodles and the dust cover was cracked in shipping and all the small pieces dumped into the box. I had to go through the noodles one at a time to make sure I got all the parts. Insurance paid damages. Bottom line....tell the seller to make certain the machine is packed correctly for shipping if you buy on ebay.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:39 AM

I have bought MANY things off of ebay - no sewing machine though. However, using paypal you are protected if it isn't like its described in the picture.

I have, however, been burned when I bought a machine off of Goodwill. I received the machine and it HAD BEEN DROPPED prior to shipping. The whole thing jammed up in the machine. The picture showed in all intacked. GRRR And they don't have a return policy. And it would've cost me a lot to ship it back etc. I decided it was a learning lesson and I stick to ebay. 8/
Old 10-02-2011, 04:39 AM

I have purchased 2 machines on ebay. The first one, a Featherweight "Abby", the pedal didn't work. Called the seller and they said that it worked when it left them. However, it apparently had a short in it because I attached my other pedal and it worked fine. They said rather than send the non-working one back to them, that they would credit my paypal (yes!!! I only use pay-pal on ebay) for $40.00 so that I could purchase a new pedal which I did from Sew-Classic and all was well. This was also a good purchase price. The second one, Singer 301A, arrived, well, okay except when I lifted out the case, it literally disintegrated into dust and pieces. However, reading the description, it did say case included as pictured.....sooo I got a really good bye on little "Ivory" who works perfectly, I just let it go. Read carefully and if you are looking at a Featherweight or 301/301A, make sure you see the bobbin case or email the seller and ask the question if there is a bobbin case. Many times they do not have the bobbin case and that can be another $60-75.00 to replace. Make sure to check the seller's number of transactions and ratings. Hope this helps.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 AM

I purchased an antique singer in a bentwood case. When it arrived the case was broken. I contacted the seller and got absolutely no cooperation from them. The seller told me to get with the USPS because it was not the sellers fault and of course all you get from the USPS is the run around and then they want the machine. Bad experience all the way around.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:50 AM

I bought a Designer 1 off ebay. The seller was as swwet as could be. He packed it in the original shipping and told me he would send anything else with it if he found anything else. Being a retired police officer, he was selling for a friend that went to the nursing home. It was a great transaction. Just do your homework, and best of luck.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:53 AM

I have purchased 4 machines off ebay. Two were great experiences, 2 were rip-offs.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:59 AM

I have bought 3 on ebay and have been about 99% satisified. One had lost the screw that holds the needle in. I think it rattled out somewhere in shipping since they usually take the needle out when shipping. Florida things are prone to water damage, hurricanes etc. so be careful there. I try to converse with the seller before I buy it. If the English is not English on the replies I avoid them.
Old 10-02-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by lvaughan
I'm looking at machines on Ebay and am nervous about buying. Has anyone had a really good/bad experience buying on Ebay? Has anyone had a machine destroyed in shipping, and how was that handled?

Thanks,
Linda
I bought a machine on eBay and have never gotten it to sew right. I still can't say that I've been burned though. I made sure that before I bought it there was a warranty; mine came w/a two yr warranty. He seller was great sending me anything that would help get the machine running right and also it had advertised to come w/the orignal attachments and when some of them were missing he sent me them the same day. I took it into the viking repair a few months ago and they've tried to get the parts but couldn't so I'm letting the seller know and I don't see any problems rather he fixes it or gives me a refund. I just bought a new machine (Viking Ruby) so if he fixed it I'll just sell it for what I paid for it. There are a few things that I bought to go with it like the Magic Box to read cards so that I'll go ahead and sell since I don't need it with my new machine. Make sure there is some type of warranty; I do this with everything that I've gotten so far. I'm leary when I see no returns especially w/electronics; even a 7 day return is better than none. Also check out their ratings to make sure they've been around for a while and back up what they sell.