Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Major luck >

Major luck

Major luck

Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Well you hit the lottery, LOL Good for you.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Someone gave me a few bird cages a few years ago, and I thought what will do with these, then decided to put them out in the yard with flower pots in them. It turned out to be a good idea because it keeps the rabbits and squirels out.....looks good too.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:07 AM

All I can say is, WOW!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Great day for you!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Congratulations on your good day!!! You had my luck too...I went to 4 promising yard/estate sales and they were all complete duds. But there is always next week :lol: . Lately, I haven't found anything but I consider it cheap entertainment...and you never know...the next one may be a jackpot!!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 AM

How's the leg? :XD:
Old 10-02-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
I will have to find a way to get them outside to photograph, but I have to tell you how lucky I am today. I found a couple listings for yard sales today, and went out with the dh to check them out. And hit it lucky, big time.

I stopped at one house, where she had a small table with fabric, and next to it was another table with two quilts on it, prices listed at $15 for a pink quilt and $45 for another. Great prices, right? While I was standing there, I get a cramp in my foot, and it starts working painfully up my right leg, and I know it was showing in my face. But no way was I leaving, if I ended up rolling on the ground, lol. I told her I wanted the stack of fabric, which she had said was $1 a piece. I walked over and was trying to look at the quilt, by now almost doubled in pain. I told dh to stand by the fabric.

She said...the one quilt is only machine quilted. I told her I was not prejudiced. We were unfolding the quilts to look at them. You cannot believe how gorgeous they are. Dh was drooling over the one. I asked her what she wanted for all the material, and told her I wanted both the quilts.

I nearly fell over when she said, "Today the quilts are $5.00 each, so how about $20 for everything. Oh yes, please, please, please. I could not pay her fast enough, lol. We filled my trunk. A lot of the material is stuff she used to make cushions, etc...and she had a huge bag of long zippers. But I paid $20, and came home with two quilts to die for. I promise to get photos as soon as possible.

Then....on the way home, I saw one sign and as much as I was hurting, HAD to go to that sale. I picked up a sewing machine cabinet that my machine may or may not fit in, but it sure will fit ON IT, and I can stop using my ironing board. $5.

I am in quilt heaven today....and took two pain pills, lol...and will feel much better soon.

And.....on a side note, I have been trying to find a bird rescue to donate my four bird cages to FOREVER. We stopped at a sale where the man had a cage. I joked that if he sold it, send anyone who needed more to my house. Turns out he needed a bigger cage for his cockatiel, and is connected with bird rescues, and is going to come get all those cages for me. HURRAY!!!! What a perfect yard sale day.
I'd say all that was worth a bit of pain!

Congrats!
Old 10-02-2011, 09:14 AM

You have now become a
SUPER DUPER YARD SALE SCOOPER (heehee).
J J
Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 AM

I sent a PM but also would like to share this info:
Place a cake of soap--any except Dove or Ivory--between your mattress cover and bottom sheet. No more leg cramps.
Has worked for me for over 2 months--don't know why but it us a good thing.
Granny Grump
82 yrs in Oregon
70 yrs quilting
Old 10-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Dried cherries work for that kind of pain. They work for gout too. Congrats on your deal! I love yard sales! My sewing area is a kitchen counter that sits on a 4-drawer file cabinet on one end, both bought at a yard sale for $30!

Originally Posted by auniqueview
My cousin identified the brighter of the quilts as Saw Blades, and said it is usually paper pieced. The photo of the other one did not do it justice...terrible lighting in here.

THe pain comes from a combination of arthritis, nerve problems and hip and joint problems. I can do a limited amount of walking with the cane outside before I need to sit down, but boy, it got me yesterday, lol. A little too much outdoor walking, I guess, but really worth it. Next time I will take a pain pill before I try going out to yard sales.