Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay >

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Has anyone been burned buying a sewing machine on Ebay

Old 10-02-2011, 09:42 AM

I once sold a machine on e-bay the shipping express place weighted it and told me the most expensive shipping would beabout $50.00. i did sell it to someone in Col. from Ohio to there it was less so I refunded the few bucks. Just be ware of things from straign places like one guy said it was for someone in a strainge country and to first send it and then they would send the money. good luck guess this doesnt apply to buying but be careful if you pay with pay pal you wll be protected
Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 AM

I have bought 2 machines on e-bay. Both dealers had very high ratings and the machines arrived well packed and in the condition stated on e-bay.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:50 AM

I bought a new Viking Diamond on ebay with less than hour to make a decision...best deal I ever made!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 AM

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, I have. I bought a Necchi Super Nova...I have wanted one of those. It said it was in "EXCELLENT CONDITION". I received it, turned it on and the light worked, but nothing else. I notified the seller, he said to get an estimate on repairs, I did. They said unable to get the parts to repair. I put in claim with ebay so that all communications between us were documented. The seller said to return it and when he received it, I would receive my money. We were going on a cruise. I sent it back and made sure I got a receipt that the seller had received it. Went on the cruise. Returned, no money. Contacted seller, he said would send check by certain date...no check. meanwhile, the claim date through ebay had passed and they automatically closed the case. Date came and went, no more responses to my emails by seller. Ebay said past the date and case closed, would not reopen appeal, contacted Pay Pay...Pay Pal said if I had case through ebay and it was closed they would not open one(I did not know that Ebay and Pay Pal and linked).

I called the police in the town where the seller was on the west coast by email and told them that I felt this was fraud because I had all the documentation that this man promised me the money when he got the machine, receipt and acknowledgement that he got it, promises to pay etc. They were wonderful. As soon as they contacted him, next thing you know he contacted me that he would be sending a check. (I had meanwhiile gone to bank and put in claim through credit card I used with pay pal so that was another option if he did not follow through again). He did finally send a check(would not pay for the return shipping), I then cancelled my claim through the credit card.

I bought a featherweight on ebay before that incident with no problems. Have bought other things on ebay with no problems and have been satisfied...but that transaction was a nightmare.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 AM

One of the machines I purchased on Ebay came broken. It was insured through USPS and they rejected the claim. Ebay covered it and refunded me through PayPal. I think I was also covered through PayPal. A bad experience turned out OK. I no longer ship USPS.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM

I Know 2 gals that have bought featherweigts off of E-Bay and have gotten nice machines and good deals.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 AM

I have purchased a FW and a 301 on Ebay. Two different sellers, both machines shipped UPS. Both machines made the trip without damage. I agree with the suggestions to review the sellers satisfaction rating and if possible I would communicate my concern that the machine be adequately protected for shipping. I've never bought anything on Craig's List.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM

I think that as long as you stay away from factory serviced or refurbished type dealers, you'll be ok...ebay and paypal will cover you if you receive an item and it's not what the seller said it was or not working properly. Just read the item description very carefully!! If it says "I don't know anything about sewing machines and haven't tested it"...or anything similar...run...that's the same as "buying as is" and you won't get much help in returning it if it doesn't work!
Just 1 other thing...if you do buy a machine and it's been in the cold, through the mail, etc...unpack it and let it get to room temp before you turn it on! The computers in today's sewing machine do not like to be frozen, then turned right on...good luck...i hope you get your machine!!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:58 AM

I got a Brother CS6000i two years ago and it was packed in the original box, no problems with damage and it works great! (Plus the price was much lower than I would have paid at the store). You just have to read all the stuff the seller has written (I even printed out a copy for reference) and trust a bit.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:27 AM

I bought a Memory Craft 6000 last year for £80 on Ebay and was £20 postage I think. It came very well packaged and has worked a dream since I got it. It's on old model but excellent. The seller was also really appreciated me letting her know it arrived and all was well.