Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A question about irons >
  • A question about irons

• A question about irons

Old 10-06-2011, 04:08 PM

My poor iron has been dropped so many times, the steam button broke off plus it's not a super hot one. I'm looking for recommendations on what type of iron to look for, but don't really want to spend an arm and a leg. My sister uses a Rowenta in her shop which is really nice. Thanks for your input.
    Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM

I have a black and decker that I like except it leaks water - yes, I have dropped it. After that experience, (3rd time!), I bought the cheapest iron I could find at Walmart. It does the job, and is extremely light - that's good for someone with fibromyalgia.
    Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM

I went to an antique shop & bought one of them really old, old irons that will fry an egg! I just keep it down low & it does it's job excellent! I love it when I press something ONE time & onto the next piece. My friend that passed away had one from her mother & when her kids got that iron, I went on a hunt for one! I only paid $2 for it at the antique shop AND I bought 2 of them!
    Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv
    I have a black and decker that I like except it leaks water - yes, I have dropped it. After that experience, (3rd time!), I bought the cheapest iron I could find at Walmart. It does the job, and is extremely light - that's good for someone with fibromyalgia.
    I have 2 irons and they are the 10 dollar ones from Walmart and they work great. Just got a Rival yesterday and it has a button for a burst of steam. Ironed Hubby's uniform shirt perfectly.

robin
    Old 10-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cattyqwltr
    My poor iron has been dropped so many times, the steam button broke off plus it's not a super hot one. I'm looking for recommendations on what type of iron to look for, but don't really want to spend an arm and a leg. My sister uses a Rowenta in her shop which is really nice. Thanks for your input.
    I'd get a used Sunbeam flat iron (no steam); they're available for as little as $5.

I'd also suggest getting a Miracle Ironing Board Cover with the money you save on a fancy iron, so that you never have need of a super hot iron. Your iron will last longer, you will use less electricity and your fabric will last longer.
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
    Originally Posted by Cattyqwltr
    I'd get a used Sunbeam flat iron (no steam); they're available for as little as $5.

I'd also suggest getting a Miracle Ironing Board Cover with the money you save on a fancy iron, so that you never have need of a super hot iron. Your iron will last longer, you will use less electricity and your fabric will last longer.
    Could you tell me where you purchased your Miracle Ironing Board Cover?
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Hi neighbor, I just found a good article about fibromyalgia. Will to send article on PM. My daughter and g-daughter both finromyalgia.
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
    Hi neighbor, I just found a good article about fibromyalgia. Will to send article on PM. My daughter and g-daughter both finromyalgia.
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/fibrom...romyalgia.aspx
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 PM

My vote -- Rowenta. I've dropped mine several times and it's still going strong. It never develops calcium deposits either. I've heard Bed, Bath, and Beyond will honor a coupon for irons, whereas, other stores don't.
    Old 10-06-2011, 05:58 PM

Love my two T-Fal irons. Great steam and they get hot.