Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? >

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket?

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM

In our guild we do a lot of fundraising using quilts as the prize. Our standard price is $2 a ticket.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by callie
I definitely would. I am in the process of making one they are going to charge $20 for each ticket with a limit of 100 tickets.... I have been told very often - it's what the market will bear. Good luck and look forward to seeing your quilt!
You can sell a quilt ticket for $20?????????? Not here!
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I didn't read all the responses so I hope I am not being redundant but... when I was an uninformed consumer (ie. before I started to quilt), I was more impressed with a quilt or other items when there was a well written description of it.

For example, queen sized charm quilt using the tumbling blocks pattern. Constructed with 750 different pieces of high quality fabric. 100% cotton and machine quilted with curly loops and feathers. 75 hours of love and labor to construct this custom quilt. Can be displayed on a wall, draped on corner of sofa or used to warm a full or queen sized bed.

You can also add the name of the fabric collection you used. Think about how paint companies name their paint colors instead of just numbering them. sometimes we are drawn to the name of something. I painted my walls a decade ago and still remember the color is "filtered sunlight."

Type the description using a large decorative font, too.

Good luck with your raffle.
generally speaking, I don't give a flying fig about the quilt I'm taking a chance on---------more interest in the cause.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
I'm in the process of making a queen sized log cabin quilt with all Moda fabrics (Kansas Troubles) to raffle off for a fundraiser.

This will be the only thing raffled off and I am wondering how much to charge per ticket. I know I have bought tickets in the past that were like $2/each or 3 for $5, but am wondering what others out there pay.

This is for a mission trip that my daughter is going on with a group of students from Liberty University. It is expensive and we need to make as much as possible.

Would you pay $5 for a quilt raffle ticket? I'm thinking we could do $5/each or 3 for $10. I know personally I would pay that much for a ticket on a quilt that I loved (and also for a cause that I supported), but don't want to set this price if it is a really bad idea.

Your thoughts?

You know your area better than we do and have an idea what the market will bear for raffle tickets for a a raffle of this type. You don't want to price yourself out of the market and the goal is to sell the most tickets at a fair price. Would 1/$3 or 3/$7.00 be too cheap for you goal? Educate your buyers so they realize the benefit they are helping support and that your quilt is made of LQS quality fabric and if it's LAQ be sure to give the quilter credit for her contibution. Being from New England originally I know VT has many quilting groups that rafflfe quilts and many people will compare your quilt to those that these groups have raffled previously. I hope I've been of some help to you in making your decision. I hope you'll share the finished quilt with us before the raffle. I wish you and your daughter the best with the project and the fund raising.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 AM

I am ticket chair for my guild. Our tickets are $1 or 6 for $5 at the insistence of my board. The quilt is over-the-top beautiful and tickets have flown out. I would have rather had $2 or 3 for $5, but this has really worked. Downside is so many tickets to manage. Upside is almost everyone can buy a chance.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:18 AM

We raised @ $450.00 at my work by selling raffle tickets one for 3.00 or two for $5.00 it was to raise money for the humane society of Collin county here in the Plano, Tx. Area! I was thrilled!
Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 AM

I'd buy the 3 if I really liked the quilt, but at least one regardless. At a recent fundraiser I REALLY wanted that quilt, and spent $30 for 9 or 10 tickets.
Didn't win, but oh well, it was for a good cause. I gave the losing tickets to my sister for Christmas, as the quilt would have been for her. :mrgreen:
(No, that's not all I gave her!)

The downside of charging less is having so many tickets, as well as the people who might buy a single ticket or group of tickets regardless of price only putting in a dollar or two.

A middle ground could be $3 for 1, $5 for 3, $10 for 10 and $40 for your height in tickets! A local square dance group does that and sells quite a few lengths; yes, they allow a tall friend or bystander to stand in for the buyer for measurement.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 AM

I think most people would prefer cheaper tickets while trying to sell more tickets. How much are you trying to earn?

Since it is a missions trip, can't your DD just ask people to support her efforts? I did when I was in college and got quite a bit. I sent out letters to my family and friends--not strangers, though.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:07 AM

We are raffling our guilds quilt @ 6/5 or 1 each..So far we have sold 3000...
Old 10-07-2011, 05:21 AM

You know $5 is not bad but I'm use to $1 each or $5 for 6 tickets. The person would think they are getting a better deal if you give them more than 1 ticket for the $5 and what the heck if you give them 5 tickets --- you are still getting $5-you could give them 10 tickets and still get $5. Tickets don't cost much and you may sell more if you give more than 1 ticket. Now if you do the 10 tickets someone has a lot of writing to do!! LOL