Writing a thank you note

Old 10-07-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I think it is very poor manners to not send thank you notes to people who have been so generous to you. That's the way I was brought up.

My thoughts exactly!!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM

What a timely subject. I too have been trying to deal with this very problem? We went to a wedding this year(late May) and now it's oct. Made my husband's goddaughter a quilt. We have not been in close touch for many years, been kinda busy raising family. She just got married (in her 50's and married for the first time. Maybe felt a little guilty so decided to make a quilt. Simple and flannel but I hand quilted it with crochet thread and I liked the way it turned out. Only able to make the wedding, having to travel cross country, so I did see her open the gift . Said she liked it , so I guess that was my thank you
Originally Posted by TanyaL
A few remarks to a different generation:

Good manners does seem to be a generational thing today. If your generation is entitled to many things that previous generations had to earn for themselves then perhaps that explains why you do not feel you have to say thank you. You are only receiving what you are entitled to. And when you have listed your shopping preferences in gift registers and you expect people to only buy and give you what you have pre-selected I guess you don't have to say thank you that they did your shopping for you. For friends and relatives who gave you a handmade quilt that wasn't on your registered list of preferred gifts - well I guess we know why there was no thank you sent. I supposed if you had wanted a quilt you would have listed one. These new rules are hard for some of us older more mannerly folks to get used to, so if we decide we will just not participate in the gift giving game anymore we know you won't miss us. After all, we aren't playing by your rules anyway.
:roll: . Then we also had some graduations both grammer school and high school. Sent checks, instead of SB per request and haven't received any ty. Been trying to understand and now having read some post, beginning to understand. Don't know what to do in the future, since it is family and our love is unconditional. Think I am going to start praying extra hard for them and us. Maybe with God' s grace we will be granted peace in these troubled times.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM

I'm going to add something positive. :) I offered my out-of-town niece my home to host her daughter's (my great niece) 13th birthday party several months ago so the local family could attend. It turned out to be a wonderful family gathering. Within a week after the party I received lovely thank you cards (via snail mail!) from each of my niece and great niece for the use of my home, and from my great niece for her birthday gift. I think it's all in how one is raised. My sister did a good job of it with all three of her kids because they and their little ones all send thanks you's, or the little ones will at least call if I'm not present when their gifts are opened. It is such a good feeling!
Old 10-10-2011, 12:06 PM

A thank you note should ALWAYS be written, even though some people might consider it old fashioned. It should be hand written, not an email. Thank you