Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Recycling and quilting/sewing >
  • Recycling and quilting/sewing

• Recycling and quilting/sewing

Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 PM

ROPA USADA's

I haven't heard about this before. What do the initials stand for? How do you get permission to shop in these warehouses?
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
    ROPA USADA's

I haven't heard about this before. What do the initials stand for? How do you get permission to shop in these warehouses?
    I think it means used clothing in Spanish. I know the 'usada' is used. Someone that speaks fluent Spanish might correct me!
    Old 10-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Ok. I'm uni-cultural. Please Janice Thompson. When you winter in Texas, where do you find warehouses with these used clothing stacks containing fabric? What are the warehouses called? What park badges are you referring to? You seem to have an entree to a bargain that is unknown to me and might be available in other states to the rest of the QB.
    Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 PM

I use flannel baby blankets and burp rags that are stained with spit up as the batting for a new one.
    Old 10-09-2011, 04:59 PM

My favorite 2nd hand finds-cotton curtains-lrg and full length dresses/skirts=yardage Also thinner store bought quilts are great for batting.My favorite finds are Futon covers. I got one for $10 its denim and I am re-upholstering a love seat with it(at least a savings of $212.) and I'll have left overs to make a few more grocery bags.And for my fellow cat lovers when cutting up old T-shirts(my fav window rags) use those sleeves make a cat toy - stuff fab. snippits and mix with catnip
    Old 10-09-2011, 05:11 PM

My mother does charity quilting for Lutheran World Relief where the standard quilt size is 60x80. She gets sheets donated from a Holiday Inn. Sometimes they just have a little tear in the corner. Since they are all white, she dyes the sheets (with Rit dye that I find at estate sales). Any sections that are thin/worn she cuts into 10" squares for foundation for my string blocks.
    The Holiday Inn also donates banquet tablecloths, which she usually uses for filler in the quilts.
    Old 10-09-2011, 05:25 PM

Take 2 really nice matching placemats and one thick one. Sew the thick one on all 4 sides to one of the matching placemats, run a seam or FMQ it to the bottom so it won't slide. Then place the other matching placemat on top of it and sew it on 3 sides only, leaving one short end unsewn. Add 2 buttons and buttonholes or velco: now you have a casserole carrier.
    Old 10-09-2011, 05:56 PM

One of my favorite recycling ideas (aside from used cotton sheets for backings and sometimes piecing) is cotton dresses from the thrift stores. Have found some wonderful calicoes and other lovely prints. Just cut them up and use for whatever. Lately have been making those darling houses and trees for wall hangings to sell at a church bazaar. The small calicoes lend themselve well to these designs. Anyone have more ideas. Keep them coming. Just love this forum, so many helpful suggestions. You gals and guys are great.
    Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks to all of you for the great ideas. When I was younger I recycled everthing but now I realized at this point in life I am being very wasteful. Does anyone have any ideas for home dec fabrics that I bought and never used. They are too heavy for quilts but have to be good for something as they don't match my colors in my home.
    Old 10-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gelswood
    Thanks to all of you for the great ideas. When I was younger I recycled everthing but now I realized at this point in life I am being very wasteful. Does anyone have any ideas for home dec fabrics that I bought and never used. They are too heavy for quilts but have to be good for something as they don't match my colors in my home.
    You could make lap quilts for the wheelchair bound old folks. Be sure and add a pocket for them to put stuff inside. I don't know the sizes of these quilts, but you have to be careful it does not get into the wheels. Someone should know the size.