Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycling and quilting/sewing >

Recycling and quilting/sewing

Recycling and quilting/sewing

Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Annesthreads asked for ideas on how to use/recycle fabric. I'll start out with 2 oldies and 1 new one: using sheets for the backs of quilts, particularly sheets purchased secondhand and recycling blue jeans - torso area with pockets into a purse, legs cut up for rag quilts. New idea: Using a red holiday tablecloth as one side of reversible Christmas placemats. Everything from Goodwill or Salvation Army, etc.

Now please help out with LOTS of other recycling ideas, hints and reminders. Thanks.
Catching up a bit belatedly with this thread, started by Tanya on my behalf. What brilliant ideas! I'll be hitting the charity shops this week. I want to use recycled materials much more: after all, patchwork and quilting developed because of the need to use and reuse everything, and it has always struck me as a bit ironic that it's become such an expensive activity with all the special fabrics, equipment etc.
What uses can you suggest for knitted cottons - eg tshirts, fleeces etc?
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
So far I have only turned old denim jeans, corduroys & mens shirts into quilts & one denim purse. I have saved an old leather jacket to be turned into a purse. I also remember my grandmother saving plastic bread bags to make into braided rag rugs. The "good" rugs were made out of clothing torn into strips and braided.
My grandma use to do the same thing.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
Originally Posted by BKrenning
So far I have only turned old denim jeans, corduroys & mens shirts into quilts & one denim purse. I have saved an old leather jacket to be turned into a purse. I also remember my grandmother saving plastic bread bags to make into braided rag rugs. The "good" rugs were made out of clothing torn into strips and braided.
My grandma use to do the same thing.
I had never heard of this before. (the plastic bread bags)

I have a really neat jacket that was an old denim that a guy friend used old purses to fancy it up.

I had thought about getting rid of it since I can no longer wear it . Hadn't seen or heard from him in over 10 years either . Found him on FB and the first thing he asked me was did I still have the jacket. LOL
Old 10-10-2011, 06:07 AM

Found some gently used curtains at Goodwill. Washed them up and they are just great. One navy blue with gold stars and one pink gingham.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM

I made fabric out of 1" strips of printed floral fabric edged with a decorative thread by the serger. These were attached to a solid fabric. Then this new fabric was cut and sewn into a really cut jacket. The strips all had black as a background and the solid fabric was black so it was unified. Of course then I spent good money carefully selecting the floral prints; but now I think some cute things could be make with a similar idea - use the recycled fabric to make new yardage, then cut and sew new garments. My jacket looked more like it had been made from ribbons of fabric; I have seen others made from patch work type fabric. Maybe a recycle idea.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

Great ideas! My Sons favorite and warmest quilts were made from old blue jeans and flannel shirts on the other side!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM

Just go to the door and walk in. If it isn't open to the public they will tell you. It's just like one big yard sale the only difference is you usually have to climb the piles
Old 10-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Janice, I apologize for being so dense. What city is this warehouse in? Whose warehouse is it? I have never seen a used clothing warehouse that I recognized, so I guess I don't know the correct names to look for. Surely there is a neon sign with some name on it. What does the sign say? How did you find out about this? Are they listed on the Internet or in the Yellow Pages?
Old 10-10-2011, 12:39 PM

I recycled some old pillow cases I have into sewing machine covers. Quick and easy.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Janice, I apologize for being so dense. What city is this warehouse in? Whose warehouse is it? I have never seen a used clothing warehouse that I recognized, so I guess I don't know the correct names to look for. Surely there is a neon sign with some name on it. What does the sign say? How did you find out about this? Are they listed on the Internet or in the Yellow Pages?
that is my question too.............wonder if there are any in this area?