Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a sucker for gadgets.,.. and this caught my eye... >

I am a sucker for gadgets.,.. and this caught my eye...

I am a sucker for gadgets.,.. and this caught my eye...

Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM

I am a gadget person also and I saw this contraption at a quilt shop recently. But honestly, I like to be able to 'throw' my pins towards the magnetic pin holder! I don't think I'd have the patience for something like this. I wonder if anyone has one yet and how it works for them!
Old 10-10-2011, 03:19 PM

My favorite gadget is one I made myself: a wrist pin cushion. I found a plastic bracelet I liked that was designed to use for a corsage. I made a felt pin cushion about 3" long and 1 1/2" wide and attached it to the wristlet. I just snap it on when I need pins. I put it on the off wrist so it doesn't get in my way when sewing.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM

I love gadgets, too, as well as electronics. This one doesn't grab me though. I am attached to my magnetic pin holder. I just toss pins at it. Recently I bought one of the lambswool pincushions that I have admired for a while. Yep, it's pretty, but I still haven't gotten into the habit of using it.

My friend was taught by a sewing instructor years ago to use a pincushion and to push all the pins down into it, leaving only the heads exposed. She says it was beause it prevents spills and accidents. I watched her use it on an airplane and I thought it was great for that. For me, I just toss toward the magnetic thing. :D :D
Old 10-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by A1penny
If it really worked, I MIGHT be a sucker and buy it....the thing that got me looking at the demo was that the pins were all the same size. I have so many different kinds of pins with different size heads.....glass, plastic and metal and flat. I'd probably have to spend several days sorting out my pins before I was able to use it.
I can see where it might be useful for a dressmaker pinning a hem while the costomer stood on a platform: the dressmaker wouldn't have to look down to grab the pin.
Even though I LOVE gadgets, I will let this one pass!
You have a really nice large one I love it How did you do it? Looks like a lot of circles on top of one another.
Fran
Old 10-10-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cristel
Ilove gadgets to, bute this is to expensive. I made myself a ringpincushion and everyone who saw it find it a useable "gadget". I will place the pattern If you like?!Maybe it's best to make a tutorial first ? :lol:
I would love to see it also the tut on how to Thanks
Fran
Old 10-10-2011, 04:33 PM

I think I would rather stick with a pin cushion especially the one A1penny showed That is really nice also Cristel said she made a ringpincushion would like to see it and maybe do a tut. Thanks
Old 10-10-2011, 04:47 PM

I hardly use pins, so I sure don't need it.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Did she say it holds 25-30 pins? Let us know how it works
Old 10-10-2011, 05:04 PM

I am absolutely so not a gadget person! I have little to no patience and find thats what most gadgets require. Ok, well that and the fact that I am apparently "battery-challenged". (If there is a wrong way to replace them, I find it and think everything is broken). My pins are in a cute little decorative dish. I have to stretch to get to it and I sure better not lob my pins at it but it works for me and I don't get poked.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rhaorth
I love gadgets, be they for the kitchen, computer, or sewing room...
and just now, while browsing around, I happened to find this...
http://store.junetailor.com/store/p-...dispenser.aspx
(the pintastic, a pin dispenser)

This would be something I could use.. (makes note on Christmas list)... I am always poking my fingers when trying to grab a pin. I don't use the pin cushion I made...it sucks.

Do you have favorite gadgets you like to use?
YOu could also go to a auto parts store and buy a magnetic dish to put your pins in. I have several of them and they are very inexpensive.