Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year >

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Things your familly does for Christmas..year after year

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM

When my children were very young,we would go to my parents, along with my 2 sisters, their children and my younger brother. Daddy would take all all his Grandchildren in the Den (10) and read the Night before Christmas to them, while Moma and us girls put the presents under the tree. Near the end of the story my brother would sneak outside and throw pepples on the roof, then peck on the windows. My Dad would make a big fuss about the reindeer on the roof. The little ones eyes would get so big. I'll never forget the looks on their little faces when they saw all the presents Santa had brought. Moma and Daddy are gone now, but we still have our Christmas memories.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Jan, that is wonderful and a good looking group!!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Our one and only Christmas Tradition is to get new funny pajamas for Christmas eve, that no one else got to see until we woke up in the morning. We enjoyed those almost more than the stockings.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:09 PM

One year when my boys were small, we drove 8 hours to my SIL's house. It was midnight on Christmas Eve when we got there, we had a key so we quietly let ourselves in and went to bed. The next morning we were awakened by the sounds of my shrieking nephews, who had opened their presents and were playing with their new toys. They had gone ahead without us!!!! I was hurt and mad. My SIL said she thought it was the kinder option to not wake us, since we had been up so late. What was the point of even driving there then, if we were sleeping through breakfast and opening of the presents????
My husband and I created a "tradition" right then and there - Christmas morning, our kids wake up in THEIR beds, and Santa comes to OUR house.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Not really on subject, but my Mom, sisters, their families and my family will get to spend Thanksgiving and Christmas together this year. It will be the first time in about 25 years to spend both holidays together. I can hardly wait! There will be 22 of us!
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM

When all 6 of our kids were still at home, DH would call out each childs name one by one to come up and get a gift. Everyone watched as they opened their gift. This was we could see each one open their gifts and it made gift opening last longer. That way they didn't finish opening in 15 minutes what we stayed up til 3am wrapping. We still do that with them and the grands.

Also, now I take a day with each grand to make their choice of Christmas cookies.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM

Charlotte37830, your holidays will be wonderful..25 years is a long time to be apart..doo have wonderful holidays and make some great memories to dwell on later.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by quilt queen
Charlotte37830, your holidays will be wonderful..25 years is a long time to be apart..doo have wonderful holidays and make some great memories to dwell on later.
Thanks. Plan on having a lot of fun and memory sharing.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:39 PM

We had our church children's program on Christmas Eve. We were allways so scared because the minister told us if we didn't know our speech or song or even worse cried, he would not let Santa come to our house. So we practiced and practiced and somehow managed to perform. I remember the new clothes, riding out to the little country church in the cold and snow, each child getting a paper bag of nuts and candy, and ending the service by singing "Stille Nacht" (Silent Night in German) by candlelight.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM

charlotte37830, Super wow!!!!!!! That is wonderful !! I am thrilled for you!!!