Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What's your favorite home remedy for a cold? >

What's your favorite home remedy for a cold?

What's your favorite home remedy for a cold?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Home made chicken soup with wide noodles and lots of garlic and REST, lots of it. Feel brand new the next day or so.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Oh yes, and lots of water too. However, my favorite remedy for a chest cold is Vicks Vaporub. My husband calls it Willie away since he will not even come in the room when I am all slathered in the stuff.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Vitamin C and Zinc
Old 10-12-2011, 05:07 PM

Hot tea and honey. Hall's lozenges. Lots of rest.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Doctor myself with cold meds and lots and lots of rest to let my body do the work.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 AM

. She also said that HER grandmother would give all of the grandkids big doses of oil....castor oil ? Remember my grandmother tried to make me drink castor oil in orange juice and I gagged and threw up....to this day can't drink orange juice !!!

So for the older timers out there....ever heard of cat nip tea ? When my oldest who is now 42 was a baby and cried all the time...called my MIL late one night, she got out of bed, had her husband drive her several miles away to an all night drug store.....came to our apt; mixed up a brew of cat nip tea, added sugar and whiskey to give to my crying child...by the time she did all this the child was asleep...after they left I poured it out....

Well in the wee hours the crying started again, what did I do, made up a brew of cat nip tea...don't remember any more; don't know if I gave it to her or she went back to sleep.....All I can say now is YIKES, can't believe I would even think of that ![/quote]

We had cod liver oil...and in the past few years I have taken it every other evening just before bedtime, one tbsp mixed in orange juice...just swallow fast and don't breathe in!!!! It is good for you-hair, nails, sort of like a lub job to keep the inner joints working without creaking.......also a good source of Vitamin D .....just don't overdo as D is not eliminated and can cause problems if overdosed......

I have heard about catnip tea, but used camomile tea..and still do. Relaxing and good to take if not sleeping well, kind of a natural sleeping pill.

RE: Chicken soup/cold somewhere I read about it actually having healing prowers for colds, so keep one in the freezer and when the stuffy comes, start cooking, or better yet have someone else make it. It must be homemade, not store bought!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM

home made from scratch chicken soup! hot tea and lemon/honey, asprin
for really bad bad colds/flu - the above and theraflu nighttime at night, daytime for day.

had that stupid bird flu last winter, home alone! It makes you cough non stop for about 4 weeks! I thought I broke ribs coughing so much. Anyway, remembered what my grandmother/ mom did when we were small -

1 Tbl each: butter, whiskey (any), lemon, honey. Heat it all to melted in a pot coat a spoon and lick it hot. It kept me from coughing for 15 -20 min straight at a time. sharet
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 PM

Hot lemonade with a shot of whiskey. Drink enough of this and having a cold, what cold?
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
Sleep, sleep and more sleep
My favorite.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Has anyone heard of putting minced garlic on the bottoms of your feet in a muslin bag? You have to be careful or the garlic will actually burn your skin. It's supposed to cure a cold.

I also have a girlfriend that will eat a teaspoon of minced garlic every day and swears by it. Her kids have not been sick in a few years.