Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilting shed size? >

quilting shed size?

quilting shed size?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:13 PM

It sounds kind of small. I just bet you will want to store a few other items in there too...
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 PM

I have a 12x24 outside building fixed up and I can tell you..it's crowded with my fabric, cutting table, sewing machines, short arm frame and machine. Get the largest building you can. You'll be glad you did. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth
Old 10-12-2011, 03:00 PM

Don't move into a mobile home unless you just absolutely have to do so. You will probably regret it. A lot of folks do. Being a quilter, you need as much room as possible. We have a 12X16 wood buildng we built with Home Depot material. we spent just over $1,000. That included paying a man $160 to put on the shingles. If family could halp with the framing, etc., you can really save. We paid retail for everything too. No labor cost that way. Labor will be more than double material costs. Wood doesn't sweat like metal or frost inside. We didn't insulate, but I highly recommend it for your health and utility bills. Even the floor should be too. It will be much more comfortable and usable longer each season. We don't have windows, but you will probably want at least one. DH built the door, but suggest a double door of secure status, either wood or steel that locks. We will add both later.
DH is storing a diassembled airplane in there also. You will need room to walk around your quilt frame and room to sit. DH is an electrician, so he wired it. get LICENSED pro for that or results may not be good in the long term.
Former Realtor
Old 10-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by tess10
Thanks for all your helpful comments and suggestions. I have decided to do a 10x20(which is the largest I can do without a permit). It is barn style which will give me some additional above storage.

I may be along time before the inside is finished, but for right now just need the space to begin moving fabrics, shelves, bookcases etc.

Money naturally is an issue for me along with almost everyone I know.

I am going to do a diagram to scale to try and figure out the best use of the area available. :mrgreen:
If you are going to have a longarm you can have one end against the wall. (I have a Gammill and only have to be able to get at one end to work right). It makes for a bit more walking but works and saves space in the room.
Good luck.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM

get as big a shed as you can afford to. you can never have too much space. If you are moving into a moble home, you may need to make the shed into your sewing room.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:54 PM

Its never big enough. My sewing room is 25x25 plus a small room off the side where I have my cutting table. My longarm takes up one side of the room and my storage and tables the other half.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:02 PM

You can run your long arm lengthwise on one side and storage and ironing on the other and have room for a cutting board at one end. That's if you do your piecing in the house. It's workable. 12 X 20 would be a bit better, but if that's all they'll let you build, go for it! It will take awhile to get your fabric arranged. The barn type will provide extra storage.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:17 PM

My husband manages a storage facility and the owner allowed me to use a 10 x 20 for my 10' long arm. It wouldn't fit in the small apartment that is furnished with the job. Quickly found that it was not large enough. I then requested to take down the wall between my unit and the 10 x 20 next to it. I now have a 20 x 20 space with a long arm, 2 domestic machines, storage cabinets and a large cutting/pressing table. My husband jokes that before next summer I'll want the one next to that. Lol. I am still sewing window treatments and related jobs for income, but getting more and more quilting jobs. They are way more fun than interior decor sewing.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 PM

a word of caution- mice love fabric
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 AM

We sold out in MA four years ago, moved to FL to a mobile home. Still not used to it. Sometimes I feel like we are living in a closet. Go as big as your lot wil allow, you won't be sorry.