Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Memory Craft 6600P >

Janome Memory Craft 6600P

Janome Memory Craft 6600P

Old 10-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
I don't own that particular machine but wanted to chime in. When I purchased my most recent computerized machine with 400+ stitches, what I did was cut doubled pieces of muslin into 8.5"x11" pieces, loaded the machine with dark-colored thread, and stitched out each and every stitch pattern. (I know they are all printed in your manual, but I like to see them actually stitched on fabric.) Then I took a Sharpie marker and wrote the stitch number above each row of stitching, put each muslin piece into a clear page protector, and put them all into a binder. That way it's a quick reference for me as to what stitches I have available.

Other than that, I would say just read the manual... very carefully. Sometimes we miss a little item here and there and it causes us grief (smile).

Good luck with your new machine.
GREAT IDEAL WITH THE MUSLIN AND DARK THREAD I WILL HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT WHEN AND IF I EVER BUY ANOTHER MACHINE I HAVE 11 SO FAR AND ONLY 1 COMPUTERIZED .
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM

I own the Janome Horizon and still don't know all the tricks. The part about reading the manual is VERY important. Nothing teaches liie practice. Before this machine I had and still have a Janome-New Home 6000 and just learned it by practice. One summer I made jockey silkes for Balmoral Park in Chicago and paid for it doing that. I didn't intend to, but they liked our silks so much and the saddle towels, that the park commissioned saddle towels for a Budwiser Stakes Race. You never know where opportunity will lead you. I haven't sewn for money since though. Start making flanel baby bibs and quilt them with some of the different stitches. They make good baby gifts and perhaps you can sell enough to pay for this expensive habit of ours. Pretty soon you will know your machine and "what not to do". I still go back to the old machine for certain stitches and effects, not on the new one. You just never know. Those little sleeveless shirts for infants, used with just a diaper for the summer are also good learning practice. One of the ladies in our guild makes table runners and uses a serpentine stitch to quilt them. That covers up a multitude of sins and still looks pretty. I am going to thry that next. No matter what you decide to do, just keep doing it.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne in VT
I'm really nervous about owning a computerized machine. I remember my Home Economics teacher always drilling through our heads "never own something that has a lot of gadgets....always get the basics...". Funny how these things stick with you for life (I'm 46 years old).

Anyways, it comes with an instruction book and I'm wondering if there is anything I should do to prepare for using this other than reading an owner's manual. Can anyone point me in a good direction, give me tips if you own one on things you have learned over the time you have had it, etc?

Thanks for your help!

Suzanne
I've never had so much fun playing with gadgets as with my 6600! I bought it from my LQS and got a lesson there. Then I took a couple classes at the LQS and learned even more. It's a popular machine, so the teachers were always able to offer helpful hints for my machine. Our LQS has fabulous employees who can demonstrate every gadget and attachment and make it look so easy!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:30 PM

I just bought a Husqvarna computerised machine and if I didn't get free lessons, I never would have been able to use it. I am still learning and I got it in July
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM

My friend owns the 6500 and loves it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:20 PM

Hi,
I have this machine and it is very easy to use. The window on the machine tells you the settings to use for each pattern, and there is a group on yahoo that you can join which will help you with any problems it's the janome 6500/6600 group just google it. Have fun with your new machine. Sandy
Old 10-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Once a month if you use the machine a lot..............just purchase some "sewing machine oil" and remove the needle plate and the bobbin case. You will see the little wick.....just put a tiny little drop on the wick. I do it every other month unless I sew like a crazy lady!!! Someone said about every three projects.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 PM

At a sewing meeting tonite, someone asked what we would take if there was a fire or flood and we could only take one thing with us. I said my Janome 6600P, not my embroidery machines or fabric, not my jewellery, (I have lots) . My Janome 6600P. It is just that great. Congratulations..you will love it.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:21 PM

Congrats on the new toy. Just read the manual good first...
and play
Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaC
I don't own that particular machine but wanted to chime in. When I purchased my most recent computerized machine with 400+ stitches, what I did was cut doubled pieces of muslin into 8.5"x11" pieces, loaded the machine with dark-colored thread, and stitched out each and every stitch pattern. (I know they are all printed in your manual, but I like to see them actually stitched on fabric.) Then I took a Sharpie marker and wrote the stitch number above each row of stitching, put each muslin piece into a clear page protector, and put them all into a binder. That way it's a quick reference for me as to what stitches I have available.

Other than that, I would say just read the manual... very carefully. Sometimes we miss a little item here and there and it causes us grief (smile).

Good luck with your new machine.
i completely agree. i learn more by playing around and seeing what the machine will do. you might look for some classes to take. I have a brother...and love all the things i can do with it.