Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Knee lift lever, do you use it? If no, why not? >

Knee lift lever, do you use it? If no, why not?

Knee lift lever, do you use it? If no, why not?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:33 PM

I'm trying to get used to the lever on my new Bernina. Just like poster Denise S, my Mom's old machine has a lever instead of a foot pedal.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Trying to get used to mine on my new Janome 6600P...
Old 10-14-2011, 01:43 PM

The knee lift is a great invention. Like you said, it allows you to have your hands free. I love, love it. I took a class one time and the instructor told us to use our left foot on the pedal. It took me a while to get used to it. But, it did help with hitting the knee lift and pedal at the same time.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by selm
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
See where I wasn't the only one who sewed with a knee pedal machine. I mentioned this to some quilters and they never heard of it, they only knew about the knee lift. Guess they weren't in my age bracket, I'm a mid century gal, LOL!
I used a machine with a knee pedal many years ago and liked it. I find the foot pedal a pain as it keeps moving on me. And, when sewing a long time it seems to affect my foot being in that position so long. I think I'd like the knee pedal back.
I had the same problem until I turned my foot feed around backwards. Now I rest my foot when I stop. No foot cramps. Those hurt like the dickens, don't they.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:21 PM
mim

I once took a very expensive pattern design class with a major label designer. We were in an auditorium.

He started out announcing that the secret hint he would tell us would make sewing so much easier. We all got out our pads and pens. He paused and then said --" Use double sided tape under your foot pedal so it won't slip away" We roared. :-) But it was a good hint
Mim
Old 10-14-2011, 02:26 PM

Both my Berninas have the knee lift, love it, and use it all the time. Makes pieceing so much easier.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM

I learned to use the knee lift when I got my Bernina years ago and I use my left foot for the pedal. I have a Pfaff right now and when I use the knee lift it falls out of the hole onto the floor after a while. I'm going to have to do something about that. It is a very handy thing once you get used to using it and I would like to use it all the time.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:48 PM

When I bought a machine with a knee lever, I already had a
nice sewing center and there was not room in the cutout for
my legs to use the knee lever.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I have a knee lift on my new Bernina. I like it, and it is good for when I am pivoting around an applique, or to make an adjustment when FMQing, but I often forget to use it during things like chain piecing when I pick the foot up and put it down a lot.

I also have the problem of going for it, and then pressing the foot pedal at the same time: oops! (Driving with my left foot is not an option. I don't have enough brain coordination to do that! The speeds would be way too inconsistent to FMQ.)
Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM

I have a Janome with a knee lifter. Do not like it at all. I thought I would when I bought my machine but I thought is was an aggravation!