Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What was/is your occupation >

What was/is your occupation

What was/is your occupation

Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 PM

Wowee- 43 pages later...

My occupation and not by choice but by necessity has been a FT Domestic Goddess, wife of 37 yrs., and mother of 2 adult kids and FT student.

During those years I have worked as a store detective picking up shoplifters; store clerk; security officer in a museum; security officer for the county government and county schools; went to college for 1 semester and had to quit due to family issues; served subpoenas; went through police academy and was certified as police officer (could not get hired as they said I was too old at 38, bunk); property manager for a large storage facility; professional pooper scooper turned animal shelter manager, and now after putting off what I alway's wanted to become years ago, I will graduate in Dec. with a certificate in Phlebotomy and Medical Assisting. It is my intention to work in a Hospice setting/with Veterans/ or a physicians clinic. It has been a long road indeed for this late bloomer of 56. Retirement is wayyyyyyyy down the road.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:07 PM

stay at home grandma now, no trade. manual laborer, I guess I drove for a long time, but have worked in a packing house for John Morrell----beef kill floor.
Worked with my dad making eye glasses. Stocked selves at big lots. unemployed and looking. but I can't do any labor work anymore, I have a hard time taking a diner plate out of the cupboard.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by quilted dakota
just a housewife
Please don't say "just a housewife". That is a vocation, not a job. Wish I could have been a full time wife and mom but it didn't work out that way. I am sure you put in long hours taking care of your family and they are lucky to have had this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Thank you to all that have answered this post and the same to the ones yet to come. This has been great. I am always curious about what people do.

A few asked about my job as an fraud investigator. I work for the Canadian Government in one of their programs. Job is very busy, but like most jobs it can become boring. It makes you shake your head about some of the people in this world.

I have done a lot of bookkeeping and finance in my earlier career.

If I could do it all over again I would have been an accountant.

The good news is I only have 12 days of work left and then I am RETIRED! Then who knows what will happen ..... first we will be snowbirds for the winter.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Administrative Assistant, securities firm
Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Started as a student nurse, mini movement teacher, practice manager for 18years but had enough of my life being lived for me instead of being able to live my live (50+hrs a week) and now work as a part time teacher aide working with an autistic boy and have time to do other things such as quilting!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 PM

I am retired but before that, I dispatched airplanes for a bush float plane charter operation in Alaska.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:00 AM

Hi from Kodiak. I was a public school teacher for 29 years (K,1,2) retired for 11 years. Now happily quilting, gardening, subsistence fishing, and spending time with the grandkids - boy 5, girl 1.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:44 AM

I'm in last year of college (will finish in July), then 2 years grad school and if all goes well will be a Pathologists' Assistant.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:57 AM

I'm a cashier at Costo, hoping to retire in 5 years (yeah rite) dreaming of a place in Florida in the winters.....