Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to organize a sewing room >

How to organize a sewing room

How to organize a sewing room

Old 10-16-2011, 08:29 PM

I just got my new sewing room, the remodel is finally finished. I have sorted my fabric by season, theme (Christmas, Easter, nature) then color. I have lots shelves so the fabric is layed out, doors to protect for dust and light
Old 10-16-2011, 08:49 PM

I am working on mine. Though I know they say not to use plastic...that is what I have done. I am using 3 drawers storage systems...double stacking. I have 4 columns. I am organizing fat quarters and small yardage. Got to figure out the rest.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 PM

I have plastic bins on a shelf unit in the closet and sort my fabric by size in bins, and one for fat quarters, seasonal, baby/children prints. Use a book shelf to keep my patterns in binders and keep my projects I'm working on on the shelves. I'm pretty organized most of the time.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by coachmatthewsvhs
mine is both by color and some by project. Mostly for aesthetics!!!! Even got this book case just to show off my small stash (most of which I bought from the board) Does anyone see their fabric?
so pretty
Old 10-17-2011, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro
In the rest of my house it's fairly neat, other then dust and cobwebs (I'm saving those for decorations for Halloween)Now my clothing..that's another subject. I have what I can wear now, what I want to wear when I loose weight, and what I can't part with..so I need to work on that department, and my purse is a lost cause as my husband gives me half of his stuff to put in it!I keep saying I'm a work in progress. But my sewing room was out of hand and I needed help in trying to figure out what to do with all my goodies.

I feel your PAIN....LOL

Oh my...what a thread! This is a HARD question.

Every time I get my sewing room somewhat under control I launch into a project and it looks like a bomb went off in it - AGAIN.

I have two tall cupboards (AND SOME TUBS) - I tried to sort by season and theme..that lasted about a year. I have one cupboard for stamping stuff, x-stitch and my craft paints.

Then.. I tried to sort using logic (what ever the heck THAT IS in a quilters mind) and I have SOME fabric stacks that are more for borders... and novelty fabrics for kids blankets... Christmas... Fall... spring.. well..... that worked for awhile too. I have been collecting paisleys for years... and I have a fetish for batiks.. so I was keeping those separate.

Now.. I think I need to go back to just sorting by color groups. I do great for awhile, but once I whack something up.. it's the lg scraps that get out of control. When I have under a half yard left of something it does not stack/fold like the larger pieces. So... it's jumbled.

ONE THING I finally did... and it's been working very WELL is to BUNDLE up the pattern with the fabrics I buy for said pattern. I tie the bag and actually mark it with "Baby Quilt for so and so".. or fabrics for this quilt.. or that quilt. I found that I was cutting up fabrics I had BOUGHT for certain other projects which was annoying me a LOT.

I had bought some gorgeous floral batik I wanted to make a jacket out of. LOVED IT... but.. one day I was working on something else and without even THINKING I spotted a perfect contrast fabric.. pulled it.. cut it up.. made a beautiful quilt (which I donated to a charity) only to realize I had whacked up the FABRIC I bought for my jacket. NOOO MORE of that.. now I bundle the pattern with the fabrics. So.. bagging has helped me a lot in this area.

Anyhow.. I've enjoyed reading the tips and comments in here. I don't think there IS any one correct answer. The status of my sewing room ebbs and flows like the ocean tides. In .. out.. tidy.. messy... tidy... disastrous.

I have VAULTED ceilings and my stuff goes CLEAR to the top of the wall...lol
[ATTACH=CONFIG]272615[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-272562.jpe
Views:	30
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	272615  
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
My is an ever changing process too. I'm be looking for others who comment.
Ditto here!!
Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM

I stack my fabric by color on a metal 5 shelf rack in my closet. I also sort into categories such as batiks, dots, children prints, landscape, animal, ect. I'm constantly arranging my fabric.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Linda Renfro
I need some help....do you organize your sewing fabric by project, by color, large verses small pieces of fabric, do you put them them in clear plastic containers, stack fabric just on shelves, use totes, put fat quarters by themselves or mix with like colors? My sewing room needs some major help in getting organized and I thought you folks might have some neat ideas so I didn't have to do the trial and error method. :)
If I ever got my sewing room organized and it stayed that way for more than two days, I'd drop dead from shear shock. Organized is a four letter word in my house.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:19 PM
cyd

The only thing that would help me is for the walls to be twice as far apart as they are now . . .
Old 10-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Organize your sewing room? Are we suppose to be doing that? Seriously, I do have a couple of plastic drawer sets that I try to sort my stash by color, I have sacks of fabric for quilts to do in the future, I have a bin for books, patterns, etc (no order there) and then I have piles of stuff on my cutting table and sewing table, oh, and on the 2 twin beds in that room (one makes a nice design "wall"). Frankly, I'm just glad both kids have moved into their own housing and I can spread through 2 bedrooms (ok--glad they are independent for other reasons too!). Someday when the kids take their bookshelves and I find it, I am going to buy 3-4 Lawyer bookcase units for my stash. And I've asked Santa for a new, more comfortable sewing table and chair!