Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO BUMMED :( >

SO BUMMED :(

SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-18-2011, 03:33 AM

No helpful advise here but want to tell you what a beautiful quilt you have!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 AM

Puckers are so often a problem with the layering. It can be hard to get all pulled taught evenly, especially with a very large quilt. I can't tolerate the spray adhesives, so I plan to find a LAer to baste my next large project.

My LQS also volunteered to help with layering. They have large tables for classes to lay it out on. I love those ladies!!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 AM

I can manage a baby quilt. Bigger than that and I take to a quilter.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:57 AM

Do you have a Quiltin group near You?????
Check with local churches. The ladies may help you and the church has large tables for you to work on.
Good-luck!!!!!
Also Elenor Burns.com has great teaching videos on her site. Your quilt is going to be beautiful!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 AM

It may not be possible to quilt such a large quilt on a small machine. I would take your quilt to a long arm quilter to have it professionally quilted. You put to much work into piecing your quilt to have it ruined by improper quilting. I do not have a longarm machine, I don't think I would be very good at it.
With the price of the Long arm machine I can have my quilts professionally quilted. I say don't stress over quilting it yourself, take it and have it quilted by a professional. you will be pleased with the results.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
I use 505 basting spray instead of pins...it works so much better...only 505, though...I found a great video (4 part series) about it, and it also includes all aspects of machine quilting. Its on youtube, here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw
I know it says for free motion quilting, but it is such a great video series in general that it works for stitch in the ditch, too... I have also had so much frustration, and can only say to keep trying! Do google searches, and get all the information you can...this board has great advice, too...as we all know...I also used the following video to make the home made table that helps hold the weight of the quilt, and you make it so your machine will fit down in it...here is that link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...feature=relmfu
I also don't do exactly stitch in the ditch, I stitch about 1/8" away, as I think it just looks nicer, and it can be really hard to stay right in that ditch!
Good luck to you, and please know that it can be done. I really hope you won't give up on it...as your quilt is beautiful!! And if you can piece that, you can quilt it...I am sure it is not as easy to do it on the domestic machines, but I also have several gals in my quilting group that also quilt on their domestics...I really debated sending my 1st one out to be done on the long-arm..but, I really wanted my quilts to be done by me...the whole thing...Lastly if it turns out to be something that just is not going to work on the machine...I hand quilt it!! :-)
Regards,
Kif
I also use 505 spray and find it a Godsend! My quilts used to have a few puckers on the back but never with the spray. (When doing smaller items such as wall hangings and preemie quilts the spray is enough without pinning.) Also, I hate SID so I also do the 1/8 outline stitching of most squares. It can mean more quilting because both sides of a "line" (of stitching) often get outlined but I like the looks and it is faster than SID.
And I agree about the pins. I bought a package of 500 and often use almost all of them. They need to be no more than approximately 4" apart (just like nailing down a sunfloor, LOL).
Good luck with it all. It will get easier.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:22 AM

I enjoy the piecing process, not so much the quilting/sandwiching part of the process, so I get the talented LAQ's to do the part they enjoy, makes it fun for both of us!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM

I feel your frustration, I have the same when it comes to the actual quilting and I have a lot bigger throat space on my machine than yours, that I can't even image what my frustration would be with a smaller space. It is doable to quilt though, because I've seen some absolutely gorgeous quilts on here that have been quilted on just a plain old sewing machine, I don't know how though. You have done a beautiful top and I would hate for you just to hang it up and forget it. My suggestions are: hand quilting, have a long armer quilt it, tie it, or get a machine that has more throat space. You can also try the spray basting instead of the pins, so that you don't have to stop and take them out as your quilting.

There are several long arm machines that are priced for the "home", or technically they're "stretched" machines, one is the Bailey, which has a good reputation. Keep in mind though, that they do take up a good bit of room.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 AM

Hey Crystal, I went through the same thing. Started using my home machine with a table behind my machine and a table to my left in the front to help with the weight. Then I used a flynn quilter. Then I built my own frame and used my home machine on a roller board. Finally, watched Craigslist and found a used Voyager 17 for $2600. Absolutely fabulous. It has taken me 6 months to work out some thread breaking issues(operator error), but we're sailing now. It's frustrating to enjoy putting the top together and then having a hard time quilting it. If you'd consider renting time on a long arm, they do that at the quilt store in Lewisville. Just a thought.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:37 AM

I have done ALOT of machine quilting and I don't do a large quilt on my domestic machine. I agree, it's not fun. But just keep plugging away and it will get done. I DO quilt smaller lap quilts and wall hangings and table runners and it IS fun. For a special quilt, you might want to look at one of the talented LAQers on this board to get the job done. You can send a whole bung of quilts out to be quilted for the price of a long arm.