Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Hand Quilting and the LQS >
  • Hand Quilting and the LQS

• Hand Quilting and the LQS

Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 AM

I do understand your frustration! I've been looking for the Aunt Becky locally myself and no luck! We have the small LQS to Keepsake here and none of them carry it and I didn't want to order a $4 item with $5 shipping. LOL Oh well I'm still searching. :( As far as handquilting thread goes, try googling the different thread manf. I do end up getting mine at Jo's mostly, but there's always a color you don't have. :O

I did find an awesome between to handquilt with though. Its the John James Gold n' Glide. Comes with the large eye also (which I need). ;) These are wonderful to even quilt batiks with, glide through like butter.
    Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 AM

The shop where I work has a wonderful line of handquilting thread and a variety of hoops and needles. Most of us want to get going on the next project so we machine quilt which is faster.
    Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 AM

Ashley, I hope you like your Aunt Becky's tool I tried it didn't care for it I admit I didn't it it much time.
    Don't ever apologize for being a hand quilter your should be proud there is nothing like a 100 % cotton hand quilted quilt.
    It's hard to keep up with all the tools on the market something new every day. It was nice the Lady offer to order it for you.
    Happy Hand Quilting.
    Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 AM

I understand your frustration since I'm also a hand quilter. We travel a lot from PA to FL and I've not found a LQS that teaches hand quilting. I also purchased Aunt Becky but I never could get the hang of it. I'm also NOT a thimble person. I use the thimble when I need to push the needle through a thick part. Let's keep on with our HQ and keep the art well and alive.
    Old 10-18-2011, 04:15 AM

I learned in a LQS how to hand sew. (quilting)
    That's too bad you experienced that. I admire you for hand quilting!
    Old 10-18-2011, 04:55 AM

First time I have ever heard of the Aunt Becky and I hand quilt mostly because I do not have a LA and I think hand quilting is so soothing to do in the evenings. Not saying I do not like long arming but that is not in my budget either the machine or the price for having it done. I wish I could afford one or for having one quilted by a long armer. Maybe one day. But hey enjoy your hand quilting and I plan to check out this Aunt Becky thing.

Hugs

Pat
    Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 AM

I've had an Aunt Becky for several years and cannot keep it on my finger, quite possibly because I don't use a hoop or a frame; Jean Brown does her Aunt Becky demo. using a hoop. Anyway, it's not so much my left hand finger (underneath the quilt) that gets hurt; it's my ring finger on my right hand that takes a beating. I use it a lot to assist the middle finger that has the thimble on it. I can't wear 2 thimbles on one hand and have tried various things to protect that finger, but with little or no success.
    Old 10-18-2011, 05:12 AM

I am a totally hand quilting person. I machine piece, but I hand quilt. It gets really frustrating to be able to see hand quilting in magazines. I subscribe to several different quilting magazines, but no hand quilting. I love to look at stitches and am always in awe of the work done.
    I have made two hand quilted quilts this year, they are both queen size for two granddaughters. Next year, I would love to make my sister a king size and also two other granddaughters full sizes.
    Everything is machine quilted. I have one little quilt shop here, she custom machine quilts. They are nice, but I feel lack the personality of hand quilting. The lady is most helpful though, if she does not have something, she may order it, if the minimum is not too high for her.
    I am happy to find another totally hand quilter...I just love how the quilts look and feel.
    Let us know how the Aunt Becky tool works for you. I have tried using a spoon, but I need to feel that needle, to be able to rock the needle.
    Hugs to ya...Dee in Oklahoma :wink:
    Old 10-18-2011, 05:14 AM

Thank you so much for providing this info. I met her at a fair last year and she is so nice. I lost the tool and now I can order another and save my fingers. Love Love Love hand quilting.
    Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 AM

I saw a woman use an Aunt Becky at a quilt show and she was a whiz!! I bought one and was determined to learn how to use it. I am pretty persistent but I have never been able to use it like she did and I have practiced with it a lot! It looks so easy in the tutorials, but don't expect miracles. I have been disappointed with it. Glad it only cost $5!!