Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • SO BUMMED :( >
  • SO BUMMED :(

• SO BUMMED :(

Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM

I can't help much but I surround my sewing table with other tables and my ironing board. Laying the quilt out like I do keeps the weight supported and helps me stay in control of the quilt....instead of gravity pulling it every way that it wants. Then I just take my time and always quilt in simple geometric shapes with long straight lines....
    Old 10-18-2011, 01:18 PM

There are some longarms that are less costly than others...there are also some places that handle used equipment and they're usually okay as well. I have a Gammill for the same reason you posted...it cost way more than I wanted to pay, but it eases my work load so much it's worth it!
    Another option you may look into is having someone else longarm your quilts for you. There are several on the Board who do it and do a heckuva good job!
    Whatever you do, don't give up!
    Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM

I have better luck "puddling" the quilt rather than rolling it. Also, if you are SID, you should go one direction on first row, then back the other directions. And alternate this. If you go all one way you will have puckers.
    Old 10-18-2011, 01:51 PM

You have tons of great tips. I put a table behind my sewing machine ( behind the fold down side, then another table to me left to help hold the weight of the quilt. Also loosly PILE the side of the quilt you are working on in your lap so there is no tugging in your sewing area. Also, get some machiners gloves. those are the white gloves with the rubber tips. I was killing my arms, hands and back until I got those.
    Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 PM

I love Leah Day's site, she only uses a domestic machine - no long arm. Check out her site for some good advice about handling a big quilt on a domestic.

http://www.daystyledesigns.com/faq.htm
    http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...ang-it-up.html
    http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...ine-setup.html

Good luck. Beautiful quilt BTW.
    Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but, the tutorial on the Main Page in the Newsletter this week was all about quilting large quilts. I printed it out and it's going into my book that I keep with all the tips that are offered. I will try the piecing method described. Makes so much sense.
    Old 10-18-2011, 02:11 PM

You have gotten some great advice here. Just to add-put it aside and try something smaller first. Support the quilt. Also, try a different stitch for the SITD. I've used a serpentine, fagotting stitch or even a zigzag. It makes it easier than a straight stitch and looks neat too. Leah Day's site is the best and there are other great sites and videos to watch. I've also tried the QAYG and quilting in sections. It works good too. One more thing, I just finished a twin on my DM-it was the largest I've done and I got one pucker on the back. After I washed it I couldn't find it! Practice too!
    Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM

I started by first quilt with stitch in the ditch. it was the around the world quilt. I pinned approximately 3 to 4 inches apart and started in the middle. I went all the way down to the bottom then went back to the middle after turning the quilt around. Continued to work going down. The pins remain in until you are completely done. It took time, but it worked well
    Old 10-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer
    Also, get some machiners gloves. those are the white gloves with the rubber tips. I was killing my arms, hands and back until I got those.
    Oh, yes! Absolutely get these gloves or something that will help you get a grip on the quilt. I can't quilt without my gloves! Not at all!!!
    Old 10-18-2011, 02:25 PM

I also use the 505 basting spray. Lay all layers out on a smooth surface. fold top layer to half way, then lightly spray the surface. Let stand for a minute then fold in place and smooth. repeat on other half of quilt, then turn over and repeat on the back side. Spray lightly. I do sometimes pin around the outside of the borders just to hold securely in place. Hope that helps