Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter? >

Rotary cutter?

Rotary cutter?

Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 AM

My favorite hands down is the Martelli. I like the ergonomical aspects of it. Their blades last longer. Their company is family oriented and they also have the best customer service. I bought a turntable cutting board from them costing close to $100. It was damaged and when I called the company they replaced it with no questions asked and I did not return the damaged one.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 AM

I love the Martelli rotary cutter, but I have found that unless you use it with THEIR ruler, it wobbles and doesn't work as well. Needless to say, I don't like their ruler - or haven't figured out how to use it yet. When I have to cut lots of strips the same size, I tend to go to my June Taylor Shape Cutter Plus (has groves every 1/2"). I'd have to fold the fabric so many times to get it under the Martelli ruler that I doubt I'd get it folded without creases and wrinkles. However, I LOVE their cutting mat - the only one I've used since I bought the system.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by quilterbabe
I love the Martelli rotary cutter, but I have found that unless you use it with THEIR ruler, it wobbles and doesn't work as well.
Guess I'm lucky. I don't have that problem.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
I love the Martelli rotary cutter, but I have found that unless you use it with THEIR ruler, it wobbles and doesn't work as well.
I don't have that problem either. I don't have any of their rulers and I've been using their Rotary for years.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 AM

Ironically the Martelli really bothered my carpel tunnel. My Mom loves hers , so I gave mine to her,as she had one that broke.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by yayaquilts
Love Love Love my Martelli rotary cutter--only use it! I can cut for hours with it and it doesn't make my hand hurt at all, like other ones do. LOVE their blades too! THey are the VERY best!!!
me too... i have chronic tendonitis in my shoulders & mild (?) carpel tunnel in both wrists.... i can cut for hours with this one.. but i by the cheaper blades @ walmart or joannes (w/coupon) and they work fine.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:28 PM

I use olfa 60mm as I also am a lefty and Ican put the blade on either side to cut havent tried anything else
Old 10-19-2011, 03:01 PM

Two ? Rotary cutters? Two Martelli cutters? Two Olfas?
Originally Posted by Needle Up
I have two of them and I just put them in my garage sale box. It was always replacing the blade. Just saying
Old 10-19-2011, 03:56 PM

I love my deluxe ergonomic Olfa with the blade that retracts when I leave the handle. I find it very safe. For security, one thing I do before every cut: I consciously look at my fingers to make sure they are not in the way! And to have stability, I take a good grab of my ruler with four fingers on the ruler and the pinky off of it directly on the mat. I gave adherence to the bottom of my rotary cutter by putting a self-adhesive clear rubber dot (made to put under template so they won't slip). I use that part to push away the fabric from the ruler to be able to cut a second strip and realign my ruler with the raw edge.

See the rubber dot??
[ATTACH=CONFIG]274018[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-273965.jpe
Views:	27
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	274018  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
I didn't even know they had a ruler. The only time mine wobbles is when the screw is loose or when I tried to use Olfa blades in it.