Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • DH Bought me Fabric - what to make with it?? >
  • DH Bought me Fabric - what to make with it??

• DH Bought me Fabric - what to make with it??

Old 10-20-2011, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    You should have sufficient fabric for both backing and to fussy cut motifs from the fabric to enhanse your design.
    Think something simple that will show off the fussy cut pieces.
    This gets my vote!!! 8 yards can go a long way!!! how totally great of your DH - he is a keeper!!!
    Old 10-20-2011, 04:33 AM

I see reversible quilts and lots of pillows, room accents, sachets for drawers, book cover. It will go quicker than you think.
    Old 10-20-2011, 04:34 AM

You might want to make something that you could fussy cut some of it.
    Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 AM

If my husband bought me fabric...... I'd frame it cause i wouldn't believe it otherwise lol lol lol
    Old 10-20-2011, 04:39 AM

Let it be the Backing of your quilt; about 6 yards? Then, plan the front. Here is the description of your fabric:
    Aquarius quilt fabric from the New Dawn collection by Fabri-Quilt features snakes and water, a greek or roman mythological figure, and detailed astrology and astronomy symbols and drawings. In western astrology, Aquarius is the zodiac sign for people born between January 20 to February 18. It is an air sign. Aquarius is associated with the gods pouring the water to create the rivers and seas in greek mythology. People born under this sign are generous and visionary. Friendship matters a great deal to them, and this is why they know a lot of people. The kneeling figure is about 6 inches tall.
    Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 AM

how very sweet of your hubby!! at least he is taking an interest in your quilting!! i would make him (and you) a quilt for your bed...he did a good thing!!!
    Old 10-20-2011, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
    My DH knows that I've been looking for my zodiac sign in fabric for ages. He knows I love celestial things, and that I've done a lot of studying of astronomy.

So, today he tells me that he bought me fabric that he thinks I'll like - and that it should be arriving in the mail any day now.

Aquarius fabric!!

And, not only that, but he said, "I don't know how much yardage goes into a big quilt, but I got you 8 yards. Hope that's enough."

So... what would you make with it??
    This would be perfect for one of Judy Sisneros 9-Patch Pizzazz quilts (or wall hanging)! Cut up the panel into two 12 1/2 X 12 1/2 Suares of the focus, two 6 1/2 x 12 1/2 rectangles of the focus, Seven 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 squares from focus and companion fabric (with so much yardage you wouldn't have to purchase much extra companion fabric), then make 9 patch blocks in at least two different fabric combinations and then put on a design wall and sew! It sounds complicated but its designed for a beginner to expert!!!!! I wish I had a picture to send you. C&T Publishing has the book. I just bought it so I know it would be available!
    Old 10-20-2011, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I love it. Hubby is wonderful.8 yards too. How great. I would do a two sided quilt. One where that is the center woth blocks around it and then the other side is stars or store at sea or a mariners compass. I would get this blue sky fabric from Joanns that is really cool too. It will go great with the fabric.
    I was thinking the same thing....two sides both showcasing that fabric! Would look wonderful in a mariner's compass.
    Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 AM
    Pds

I have a tendency to make "busy" quilts, but why not use it as a background and make stars in solids. I saw a quilt made by Charlotte Angiotti (misspelled I know), where she used a busy print with chickens as the background, that was really nice looking.

Thoughtful husband--although my husband encourages my "art/craft" he would never buy me fabric (and I am not sure I would encourage him to) :)
    Old 10-20-2011, 05:07 AM

with that amount of fabric you would have enough for the backing of your "Water Carrier" quilt along with your choice for the front.

Beautiful material and a keeper of a husband.