Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 10-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Absoultely amazing, the perfect border for AOTH - and on a roll of paper towels, to boot!
Old 10-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Losie, I have some of those applique pins, too. Got them just for AOTH & I love them. My thread sometimes catches on the head, but with the filled in area there, it slides off right nicely. I am placing the pind down the center of these heart pieces (you can see them in the darker green side of the border pic I posted somewhere.

Edit: The pic is on page 242 on this thread. I have GOT to take a better picture of this as the color & quality is so lousy. I have appliques all of this border, but not finished the embroidery. I'm appliqueing the other long biggie border, then will move to the shorter ones.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I can sympathize with Mousie. I have got cabin fever! I've been fighting a bad sinus infection for over a week now & then to top it off I got pink eye. I couldn't read, quilt, or watch TV for several days. I was sitting at my kitchen counter sipping on a cup of hot tea & I noticed the pattern on my paper towels. Yikes! A perfect pattern for the large border on my AOTH. I'm enclosing pictures but I don't know if the pattern will show up on the white background. Now I need to figure out how to transfer this pattern to my quilt fabric. Do I applique or reverse applique? I will have to play with it 8-) 8-) 8-)
what wonderful inspiration
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Losie, I think that paper towel design is awesome for the AOTH border. :thumbup:
If I was using it, i would trace each heart shape and cut a template, then embroider the rest. But then I am doing machine applique. I am sure you will figure it out.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Losie, fate presented you with a wonderful border. Who knew paper towels could be so inspiring.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

Losie!!!!! That is EXACTLY what was in my head for the border design for AOTH! Incredible! That is so funny! I love that the paper towels have the scrolls on them too.

Thanks for posting the tips too. I use the same pins, but hadn't seen that paper, or if I did, I've forgotten about it. I'll have to go look for it.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:41 AM

I, too love the applique pins. They work very well, especially for the thin swirly pieces. Never thought to use the wash away sheets....DUH, thanks for the hints

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I am far from being an expert on needle turn applique but I have received so many halpful tips from this cyber sew. I want to share with you 2 of my biggest helpers. They may be old hat to some of you but they are brand new to me.
I bought some applique pins at my LQS and I love them. I can use as many pins as I like to make sure my applique piece is within the pattern lines. They are small enough that they do not stick my fingers nor do they get tangled up in my thread. The second halper is Applique Wash Away sheets from Nancy's Notions. They measure 8 1/2 x 11" and the shiny side sticks to the fabric when you press it. I put the shiny side up & trace the pattern pieces onto the sheet. I cut out the pieces on the tracing line & then I press the pattern piece to the wrong side of my fabric. I trim the pattern piece & I can even snip the seams because the sheet holds everything in place. It gives me a good line to use as a guide for needle turn & the best part is; I don't have to remove it because it washes away in soapy warm water. I have attached some photos to show you what I mean.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:50 AM

finished the blocks for the side units to be added to the center 16 block unit. here it is hanging on the design wall, what do you think? I am still trying to decide what size the inner border should be. My blocks are 8 1/2", in the picture there is about 2" border showing. Does that look like the right proportion?

AOTH center unit with side strips on design wall
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275349[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-275296.jpe
Views:	54
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	275349  
Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Gorgeous!!! What a fast worker you are and your quilt is incredible. I love everything about it. My blocks are 10" squares and I used a 1 1/2" inner border. Your border fabric is beautiful and you can make it any size you like as long as you remember to make your sashings on your corner blocks the same size. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

Losie, it all looks great :thumbup:
I'm doing the same size as patti, but you do what makes you happy.
Looks good to me.
When I ever get to putting sections together, I will take into account what I want showing on top of my bed and what I want hanging down, so my plan for 1.5 inch wide border could change.
I'll know when I get there. ;-)