Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best lighting for cutting table >

Best lighting for cutting table

Best lighting for cutting table

Old 10-21-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Grambi
Don't really have a specific light recommendation but just an observation. With all of the white behind your sewing table, you may be getting a lot of light bounced back into your eyes. What about taping a darker piece of fabric up on the wall and seeing if that helps. If it does, you could make a more permanent change with paint.
Thanks so much for your interesting observation. I'll have to give this some thought.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Part of it is your angle. because I wear glasses I have to adjust for glare off the lense from above and behind the lenses. I have found those torch lamps with the reading light and the frosted cup style shade do well for direct and indirect light depending on what I need. They can be gotten for under 15.00 at places like Walamrt especially at the beginning of school years
Hmm, I wear glasses, too. I have a torch lamp in my sewing room right now in another area. I'll just move it over near to my cutting table and see if that takes care of the problem. This might be the cheapest fix yet. :thumbup: Might be just like me to overlook the obvious! :oops:

Much appreciated, :D
Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 AM

Yes - they fit into "regular" light bulb sockets. I got a two pack on sale at Joann's and put them in my reading lights. Love them!
Old 10-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
Yes - they fit into "regular" light bulb sockets. I got a two pack on sale at Joann's and put them in my reading lights. Love them!
Oops - I meant to "quote reply" asking about whether Ott bulbs can fit into regular sockets. Hit the wrong button!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
Terrific! :thumbup:

Thank you,
Old 10-23-2011, 12:16 PM

I use an Ott floor lamp. Works great for me.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:53 PM

I honestly cannot remember if I already posted this in here or not...but even with 3 OTT lamps in my cutting room if I'm cutting/sewing at night I have an annoying shadow on my work area. ESPECIALLY if I'm cutting out fabric. I always had a miniscule shadow on one side of my template and that minor amount is enough to toss off an accurate cutting line.

Now.. this took my husband some time to STOP laughing at me, but I now use a backpackers LED headlamp when I work in my room in the evenings. It's GREAT! DORKY, BUT GREAT! My light source is RIGHT where I need it every time AND my hands are completely free.

Matter of fact.. I have fallen in love with this idea so much I now keep a headlamp next to my reading chair. Our house has vaulted ceilings and an open floor plan. There's no good light in this place except for floor lamps. So.. as GOOFY as I look whether I'm doing hand work or reading.. I slap on my trusty headlamp and I'm GOOD TO GO!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to IT.....LOL
Old 10-23-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
I honestly cannot remember if I already posted this in here or not...but even with 3 OTT lamps in my cutting room if I'm cutting/sewing at night I have an annoying shadow on my work area. ESPECIALLY if I'm cutting out fabric. I always had a miniscule shadow on one side of my template and that minor amount is enough to toss off an accurate cutting line.

Now.. this took my husband some time to STOP laughing at me, but I now use a backpackers LED headlamp when I work in my room in the evenings. It's GREAT! DORKY, BUT GREAT! My light source is RIGHT where I need it every time AND my hands are completely free.

Matter of fact.. I have fallen in love with this idea so much I now keep a headlamp next to my reading chair. Our house has vaulted ceilings and an open floor plan. There's no good light in this place except for floor lamps. So.. as GOOFY as I look whether I'm doing hand work or reading.. I slap on my trusty headlamp and I'm GOOD TO GO!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to IT.....LOL
Well, now that sounds like a neat idea! :thumbup: But gee whiz, I was really looking forward to you posting a picture of it on you. :lol: And details, like where'd you get it, how much, etc.? Please.

Thanks,
Old 10-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Quiltgranny...
You can get them at Walmart, ANY big box store back in the camping/sporting goods department. There are upper end ones at sporting goods stores too. I think I paid about $12.00 for my first one...and I got a bigger one the second time and that was closer to $19.00. Don't buy a crazy expensive water proof one. You're not going to be hiking in the rain in it.. or hanging off the side of a cliff in a snow storm.

I love them so much that if I have to go out in the dark to nab an arm load of wood for the wood stove (we live 8 miles out of town and it's PITCH BLACK out here) I put one on. Once you adjust it (which takes a second max) the light is RIGHT where you need it...every time.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Highmtn
Quiltgranny...
You can get them at Walmart, ANY big box store back in the camping/sporting goods department. There are upper end ones at sporting goods stores too. I think I paid about $12.00 for my first one...and I got a bigger one the second time and that was closer to $19.00. Don't buy a crazy expensive water proof one. You're not going to be hiking in the rain in it.. or hanging off the side of a cliff in a snow storm.

I love them so much that if I have to go out in the dark to nab an arm load of wood for the wood stove (we live 8 miles out of town and it's PITCH BLACK out here) I put one on. Once you adjust it (which takes a second max) the light is RIGHT where you need it...every time.
Thanks for the scoop on these headlamps. Will definitely check into them. In the meantime, after chatting with my neighbor about this, she says she has a couple of under the counter lights we can hang up to see how that works. They're free; the price is right. :thumbup:

Take care and thanks,

Oh, I understand all about gathering wood in the dark, etc., our home borders a national forest, and we too, are several miles from town. :thumbup: