Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointed with quilt show judging >

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Disappointed with quilt show judging

Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
Yup yup. My first and last quilt show that I entered was like that. I spent so many hours matching points, and I think they were pretty good - judges said they were awful, and the rest of my quilt was okay. Very disappointing, but just made me realize I don't care what anyone else thinks and I don't enter quilt shows now
I read what they have to say and if I can use it to improve - do so.
If it sounds like they missed the object of my quilt and did not understand it at all - do not listen.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:47 AM

I haven't been quilting very long, and heaven knows mine are not the best, but if I were to enter a quilt in a show I would look at it as a learning experience. Whatever the judges criticized about mine, I would go and work on that particular aspect of it and hope to improve my quilting in the long run. It's hard to see your own shortcomings but are able to understand them when someone else points them out to you. You can't be thin-skinned if you really want to learn how to improve yourself.
All that said, your quilts are beautiful. Now take their advice and work on your binding. Your next one will be perfect because of this.
Best of luck in the next show!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgal
Quilt Police are in our own heads and keep us from enjoying what we do when we listen to them. What you need to do is stop listening to them! :thumbup:
I agree! I won a ribbon once and my husband keeps asking me why I don't enter another quilt. I answer him by saying that it kills the fun out of sewing for me. I've realized years later that I never really needed the validation.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 AM

I had the same comment on a quilt. One I entered, the binding was done by someone else, another entered was my binding. The other binding quilt took second and mine did not even place. Did you sew the corners on your binding? The slit 90 has to be tacked down for show quilts. Were you sure to measure randomly around and that it was all equal? I have entered quilts very often. Mine have even made the top 50 on Hoffman Challenge. I enter quilt contests to see how well I am doing so I take the judge comments to heart. They can be cruel, but use them constructively. My bindings have improved enough now that I generally get a 9 or 10 on them. There are a couple of books out that help with suggestions on show quilts if you decide to keep going on. Also, small towns do not always get qualified judges for all categories of judging. Keep putting them in the shows though.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 AM

You would find if you were a stranger the comments would be more favourable. Sometimes when they know a person the criticisms come out. Go figure. Bet your quilt was gorgeous and would love to see it posted.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM

I use to do show riding, and won many prizes, including major ones, but if I was not one of the judges 'favourites' or they didn't like my horse, I won nothing. Don't worry about it, I am sure your quilts are excellent, it just was not your day.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cozy quilter
You would find if you were a stranger the comments would be more favourable. Sometimes when they know a person the criticisms come out. Go figure. Bet your quilt was gorgeous and would love to see it posted.
Typically judges do not know the name of any quiltmaker whose work they are judging...unless it's a world famous quilt. The names are covered before the judges ever see the quilts. Additionally, if a judge has any personal knowledge of a quilt, he is supposed to recuse himself from judging it. To imply that a judge would unduly criticize a quilt because he knew the maker is ridiculous.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:06 AM

I have never entered anything either...that being said, I am sure I would also be "flustered" but, please don't let anyone else's criticisms make you feel bad about your quilting or any other ability. If criticism is constructive, and asked for (as in the case of entering a judging show) then it should be taken as what it is, suggestions and another person's opinion...that is all it is, though!! I just hate to see anyone question themselves over another persons opinion...so, please just chalk it up to that, and keep making the beautiful quilts that you love making!!
Regards,
Kif
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM

Binding is the FIRST thing the judges look at. There are so many beautiful quilts that that sometimes is the big difference in the outcome.! If the binding has even one little fault in it, they eliminate the whole quilt right away. Look at Sharon Schambers "Quilting the Angel" parts 1,2, and 3. Congratulations on even being brave enough to enter! You show 'em. Make a quilt of ONLY bindings next time!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM

never had the confidence to enter one of mine, I KNOW where all the mistakes are, lol. sorry that happened to you tho, please dont let it keep you from entering other shows.