Crafting on a Plane

Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM

I've never had a problem with crochet hooks, or the 4" scissors, I take hand embroidery along and carry on only one needle and pack the rest. However, a friend of mine had her needles taken away from her. Depends on what airport you fly out of and who is doing the searching. Best to check the airport first. A nook is always a good thing to have, you can read and play games to while away the time.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:24 PM

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM

I flew to Tokyo Japan last Christmas. I took a scissors that was less than 4 inches with no problems anywhere. My SIL travels a lot and always takes knitting needles with her everywhere.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jhoward
I took hand embroidery on a plane last winter. I used the dental floss container to cut thread.
i think the dental floss container or plastic kids scissors are safe bets
Old 10-26-2011, 04:19 PM

Last time I flew, I took about 100 needles and threaded them and stuck them through the material that "beading" people use to keep the beads from jumping all over the place. It was so much fun to stitch all the framed hexagons and I clipped the threads when I arrived back home.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:22 PM

I always take my crochet stuff, never had a problem.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 PM

Depends on the airline - I used to be allowed to have a crochet hook but now some of them won't allow that nor knitting needles. I use a disc cutter pendant around my neck for cutting thread when embroidering.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jitkaau
Depends on the airline - I used to be allowed to have a crochet hook but now some of them won't allow that nor knitting needles. I use a disc cutter pendant around my neck for cutting thread when embroidering.
Just goes to show that it is sometimes at the discretion of the TSA agent. If you look at what the regs say that I posted up above say they aren't allowed. Go figure.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM

I have always flown - multiple airlines - with crochet hooks and small curved scissors and have never, ever had a problem. The TSA website is really the place you need to check. The information is quite specific.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 PM

Okays...you may not like this but this is how it is.....its another country okay & not the US...their rules we may not like - but they do have the right to enforce their laws.......just as we do back in the US.

As you are going to Europe & me here in OZ (Australia) & I do work in legal....then huge caution....as the rules for entering Europe are much differant than the US...its their country after all & they make the rules for their country, not another country.

My legal advice is this....scissors, (& no mastter how small they are) nail clippers, pins, sewing needles, croquet needles, knitting needles....put all in your check in lluggage & not your hand luggage....you may cause very considerable delays whenst your hand luggage is screened if you have them upon boarding - & I don't mean it by being screened in the US - but it is screening upon arrival in Europe is differant.

I am a US female & working in OZ & my work in in legal which does take me to many overseas countries...advice is as above......whether you adhere to it not then thats up to you.....& if anything goes wrong that you do get pulled aside in Europe once your hand luggage (not the check in stuff that goes in the cargo hold section) is screened....& if it get a bit worrying, then ask for our US Embassy Representative - okay.

Cheerio, Jane