Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Defective Rotary Blade? >

Defective Rotary Blade?

Defective Rotary Blade?

Old 10-26-2011, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
check to make sure you did not put 2 blades in that has happened to me
The one time I had a problem I had two blades stuck together.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen
My rotary cutter is one of my most important quilting tools I never compromise on blades - intact I need to change my blade today it was not cutting as well the other day ready for a new blade - I dispose of old blades in a huge prescription bottle to protect myself and the trash people... or just inside something sealed my problem is I haven't been able to find the 5 packs anywhere lately and I love buying them that way - so I always have a sharp blade...
I recently read somewhere here on the board that the cheapest way to get new blades was on ebay "buy it now."
I recieved mine the other day- 2 brand new packages of 5 Olfa blades. Even with shipping it was still cheaper than buying them around here, even when they are 50% off.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

I have the same cutter as you and I always have the blade out button clicked to use it. I found the 45mm is much easier to use then the 60mm. I stocked up on Fiskar blades years ago whenever Hancocks had 50% off all notions sales. Back then I could get 5 blades for $5.50 at the sales. I haven't bought blades for Fiskar cutters in years. I use them in my Olfa cutters too. I bought the Gingher coated blades on sale and they are fantastic!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:34 PM

I did that once , too. I couldn't cut a thing. took the blade out to try another and discovered I had put 2 in at the same time. Duh!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Administrator

if the blade was defective, then it isn't fair to "blame" the store. they don't get them for free, either.

if the blade was switched by a "customer", that is also not the store's fault. thieves are everywhere - including Rodeo Drive.

if you've checked every other possibility and the blade still doesn't perform to your needs or expectations, they will take it back. they will either give you a refund or an exchange.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
if the blade was defective, then it isn't fair to "blame" the store. they don't get them for free, either.

if the blade was switched by a "customer", that is also not the store's fault. thieves are everywhere - including Rodeo Drive.

if you've checked every other possibility and the blade still doesn't perform to your needs or expectations, they will take it back. they will either give you a refund or an exchange.

"ALL" good suggestions :)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:02 AM

The same thing seemed to happen to me too. I had to change a brand new blade **grrrr**. I think it was defective, but couldn't see anything wrong with it.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 AM

I had to return the rotary cutter as the pin keept popping and i got a brand new one from the co.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:32 AM

Anything that's mass produced can have a defective batch. I'm big on consumer rights and if that's the case take it back to where you bought it. They should exchange it.

You think a defective rotary blade is bad? I was a Phlebotomist for years and on rare occasion our HUMAN needles had a flaw of a miniscule "barb" of left over metal on the tip. You KNEW IT when your patient almost keeled over when you retracted your needle. You almost needed a magnifying glass to see it...but..it WAS there.

Anything that's made by a machine can have imperfections. Especially mass produced things.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:33 AM

I had a similar experience last week with my 45 mm Olfa. Used the third blade from a relatively new 5 pack. Wouldn't cut. Took it apart, checked to make sure there was only one blade, put it back together, and it STILL wouldn't cut. After several more frustrating minutes I took the next new blade from the pack, put it in and it cut like a dream! Then, carefully, I felt the edge of the other blade. It was not sharp AT ALL. As in defective. Only time I've had that happen, thank goodness.