Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I;m hiding in the shrubbery, I think the quilt Police are after me! >

I;m hiding in the shrubbery, I think the quilt Police are after me!

I;m hiding in the shrubbery, I think the quilt Police are after me!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I iron my seams open 90% of the time. It's much easier to match seams this way. Many think that covering the seam with the seam pressed in one directions keeps the seam from stress. If you use a quality thread and quality , there isn't much of a worry about that. The quilt is quilted and that keeps the pull of the weight off the seams.
I agree 'The quilt is quilted and that keeps the pull of the weight off the seams. I just took a class and they encouraged us to iron them open. Showed us samples of both (log cabin) and I was amazed at how the opened seams make the quilt flatter. Also, this eliminates the 'scant 1/4 inch'.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 AM

I explained to them that a stocking is not expected to last a hundred years and neither are some of these quilts we are making now. They got very surly but I threatened to examine their latest winning quilt with a large magnifying glass.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:36 AM

lol
Originally Posted by lfw045
Do what you want and keep the badge polish handy.....lol!!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:31 AM

I go with the fact that it is yours to do as you please. Do what works for you because regardless of what some folks may think, there is more than one way to do things.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:35 AM

I interchange anyway - depending on bulk and purpose. I don't think there is a problem with that.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
"Pressing? I don' need no steenkin' pressing."
(Hoping someone recognizes the parody.)
Perfect....we love this saying around our house...."....? We don't need no stinkin' .......!" Just insert your word.

I have to agree with all the others. Do whatever works for you, and for your project.

and next time the QP come a visitin' .....write them a ticket for trespassing in your quiltin' space!!!! That always sends 'em runnin'!!! ;) ;)
Old 10-27-2011, 05:05 AM

I love this answer. THis pressing thing drives me nuts.
Originally Posted by kwendt
I press to the side using this method:

1. Can I figure out which way to press the seam so that the next time I sew on this particular piece, the seams will 'lock'?

If "Yes", press the seam to the chosen side, celebrate, do a happy dance, imagine myself to be the 'great, all-knowing Quilter'.

If "No", give up trying to figure it out, tell myself it doesn't matter and move on to Step 2.

2. Can I figure out how to press so the bulk of the seam lies to the 'dark' side of the fabrics?

If "Yes", press the seam to the chosen side, celebrate my return to "the dark side", practice breathing through a black face mask, and imagine myself to be the most feared, dark 'Jedi-knight Quilter'.

If "No", give up trying to figure it out, tell myself I'm not a rocket scientist anyways and move onto Step 3.

3. Can I just figure out how to press the seam to one side or the other???? The voices in my head say, "Enough already, you've spent 30 minutes trying to press out ONE seam while exercising your imagination. Just press the dang seam!" Goto Step 4.

4. Realize that Quilting is exhausting. Turn off the iron, leave the quilting room, and close the door. I'm sure I can find "Star Wars" or "The Twilight Zone" reruns on cable somewheres...
Old 10-27-2011, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat
I always do what is easy for me. No use getting all worked up tight over something that is supposed to be fun and relaxing.
I agree.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM

you go for it!! Just finished a tumbling? 9 patch that I was sure I was keeping the seams straight but when I went to press it... well you know how that story ends!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:22 AM

I have never sean any rule book so until I do we can do what we want.