Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Who does sewing other than quilting? >

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 AM

I have always sewn. I primarily do quilts now but have been known to make everything from drapes to accesories for my husband's guns. I worked for about 18 months in a shop that does alterations and custom dressmaking. I learned a lot there about garment construction and repair that has come in handy. My greatest love is still handquilting. I used to get more than my share of the handwork at the shop simply because I had no problem with doing the work with just a hand needle and thread. I made the junior bridesmaid and two flowergirl dresses for my youngest daughter's wedding. I am currently whipping out little "pillowcase" dresses for a chairity project.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 AM

I love all kinds of sewing!
It is a lot of fun seeing the differnt things you can make.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:57 AM

ME ME ME!

Seems like I'm doing everything else sewing related except quilting things...(not counting checking in at the QB a few times a day)....hmmmmmm....maybe I should stay off here.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 AM

Both my parents sewed, in fact my father used to make my Easter dresses, mom made almost all my clothes and even coats. THey both taught sewing and tailoring at the Singer store in downtown DC. Fun fact- 40 years later,a Hospice patient I visited had taken lessons from my parents.
I learned sewing very early and used to make a lot of my clothes. Fun game-make the same top in different fabrics and see if anyone figures out.Never....I still like to make shorts and summer clothes although I am not paying 12 or 13 dollars for a pattern..
Old 10-27-2011, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by ellenmg
Both my parents sewed, in fact my father used to make my Easter dresses, mom made almost all my clothes and even coats. THey both taught sewing and tailoring at the Singer store in downtown DC. Fun fact- 40 years later,a Hospice patient I visited had taken lessons from my parents.
I learned sewing very early and used to make a lot of my clothes. Fun game-make the same top in different fabrics and see if anyone figures out.Never....I still like to make shorts and summer clothes although I am not paying 12 or 13 dollars for a pattern..
yes pattern prices can be insane.
However, Hanncocks will have pattern sales were all patterns are $.99 I always stock up on those sales.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 AM

I started sewing clothes as a teen. Mom says it's the best money she ever spent on lessons for me. sewing a little for my sister too. have made curtains, halloween costumes (even for my dad's dog), pillows, alterations and repairs, bridesmaid dresses for myself and step-daughter, etc. I even have made bulls bags (sand filled pillows for target shooting) for my husband out of his old jeans and a bicycle seat from vinyl with appliqued flames for my son.

Now I mostly quilt, but make some clothes and costumes for my daughter too.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 AM

I started out at 12 yrs. old, making simple jumpers (remember those?) and A-line dresses. Since then, it wasn't a big stretch to make pillows (decorative)/drapes/upholstering/costuming for amature theater/my bridal gown/etc. I didn't come to quilting until I got cabin fever while interminably pregnant with my 1st child. (He's 33,now)
Old 10-27-2011, 05:34 AM

I have been sewing since I was about 12 years old. I made most of my own clothes. Then I had 3 daughters and made most of their clothes out of necessity. I have made men's suit jackets, slip covers, drapes, curtains, halloween costumes, and anything else you can make with a sewing machine. Now my kids--all adults--think I'm their personal seamstress, but I usually only make quilts. I have tried to teach my DD's how to sew, but they can't even sew on a button. I think they are hopeless. The craziest thing I made was 13 porcupine costumes for a school play. I also volunteered to "help" with Indian costumes for a play that my DGD was in. Turned out most of the others on the committee didn't know how to sew. Made almost all 30 dresses.
Sue
Old 10-27-2011, 05:47 AM

I have sewed since I was 10 yrs. old. Besides making quilts I sew clothes for my granddaughters, make curtains, pillows, tablecloths, placemats and anything else that my daughter needs me to sew. I've given her one of my sewing machines, but she has yet to unpack it out of the box, lol!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM

one day I'd like to be able to make myself a skirt or tunic or something. but for now I can do aprons, table runners and small quilts. Every day I sew, I learn something.